Monday, April 15, 2013

BEDA #15: Tooth Fairies, Racist Holidays And Other Lies My Parents Told Me


Going to the dentist was never one of my favorite pastimes, but my last visit was especially unpleasant. I was sitting in the chair, my mouth opened uncomfortably wide and my eyes squinting in the light of what looked like a miner’s torch on top of his head, as I tried to read my dentist’s facial expression. Even though it was hard to make out much of his face behind his glasses and mouth mask, I didn’t think he looked particularly worried, so I relaxed a little, until:

                ‘It looks like your upper left wisdom tooth doesn’t have enough space. As it stands now, it’s likely that it will push your other teeth out of place.’ He said.

                ‘What does that mean?’ I asked anxiously, speaking as clearly as I could in spite of having medical tools and what felt like ten sticks of cotton wool in my mouth. I feared the worst, and with good reason, because:

                ‘I’m afraid I’m going to have to remove it sometime in the future.’[i]

I, having worn braces for over four years only to get my teeth in the somewhat straight state they are in today, was rather upset by this news. I was also very scared at the prospect of possibly having dental surgery, so, naturally, I whined to my mother about it. She, however, had a word of comfort:

                ‘Look at it from the bright side!’ she said, with an unconvincing smile.

                ‘I fail to see a bright side to this situation.’ I replied, sadly.

                ‘Well, there’s always the tooth fairy.’ She sniggered.

I could only laugh about this comment, so I guess it cheered me up slightly. It did, however, also make me think about the tooth fairy as a concept. I suppose it’s not surprising that an important aging process like losing your baby teeth is surrounded by a myth, but sometimes I can’t help but think the adults were just trying to find out how many nonsensical stories they could make their kids believe before they would start asking questions, all the while laughing at their our stupidity.  This made me think about other lies parents tell their children, and especially the lies my parents told me. Less than true stories I was told as a kid certainly weren’t limited to the existence of a tooth fairy.

For example, whenever there was a rainbow in the sky, my parents used to say that the chickens were celebrating carnival. I know that sounds ridiculous. I can’t even imagine how I could ever have believed that, but apparently I did, because in second grade, after my teacher asked the class when rainbows appeared, I raised my hand in Hermione-like fashion and replied enthusiastically:

                ‘When the chickens have carnival!’

My mom, who heard the story through my confused teacher, still likes to recount the tale and laughs herself silly at my foolishness. I wasn’t a little Einstein as a kid, it appears. I must have thought colored light beamed from chickens having a great time, which is kind of sad, because, really, most chickens don’t have a very great life at all. Oh, dear, I didn’t mean for that dark turn to happen. Moving on!

Another curious and rather cruel thing my parents used to say, was that my sister and I weren’t their biological children, but that they had found us under the bridge near our house. Again, this is a weird thing to say and it makes me doubt my parents’ sense of humor. I imagine they got the inspiration from the stories of Moses and Romulus and Remus, but I am at a loss as to why they applied a similar story to us. But then again, this came from the same people who, whenever we asked where they were going, replied in acted seriousness: ‘We’re leaving the country on a little white horse.’

The things I’ve mentioned so far really seem to have had no purpose whatsoever, but my parents also fed us some lies to teach us lessons. For instance, to keep us from chewing on our own hair, they told us that this could lead big hairballs to form in our bellies, which we would then have to throw up the way cats do. This gory, yet kind of awesome warning was very effective, although I don’t really get why chewing on your hair is such a terrible habit.
Likewise, to keep us from pulling weird faces and sticking out our tongue at random people on the street, we were told that if we did either of those things, and the clock started to chime, our faces would fix and stay weird forever. I don’t know if it was as a result of this story, but to this day, I have never stuck out my tongue at anyone.

Maybe the most wide-spread of lies parents tell their children, is the one of Santa Claus. After all of this, you might be surprised to know that my parents told me Santa was fake from the start[ii]. Santa Claus isn’t very popular in the Netherlands, and even though we celebrated Christmas and decorated the house with some Santa Claus figurines, it wasn’t about getting gifts from that fictional character. We celebrated another holiday instead on December fifth. This very typical Dutch holiday is called ‘Sinterklaas’, and the story around it, is that at the end of every year, Saint Nicholas comes to visit from Spain. He arrives with his helpers in November on a large boat, so he can give all the Dutch kids gifts on the evening of his birthday, December 5th. Saint Nicholas’ arrival is a grand spectacle including a parade that thousands of people go to watch, and it airs live on national television.  It involves special Sinterklaas songs, actors dressed up as Sinterklaas and his helpers, and the throwing around of cookies. Then, from the day of his arrival up until the actual celebration, Saint Nicholas visits towns[iii], leaves gifts and candy in children’s shoes, and every evening there’s a news show all about him, which is no less serious than the regular eight o’clock news. Basically, the entire country works together to trick the children.

[A sidetrack, but I wanted to note something problematic about Saint Nicholas’ helpers, otherwise known as ‘black Petes’. The thing is that they are black, whereas Saint Nicholas, who is basically their boss, is white. You can interpret this as sending the message to little children that white people are in charge of black people. Also, the story of Sinterklaas tells us that, to deliver presents to children, black Petes would climb through the chimneys to get into their houses, which is given as an explanation for their dark skin color. These things are both extremely racist and factually incorrect. On top of all this, there is actually a Sinterklaas song that literally translates to “Even though I’m black as soot, my intentions are good”, which is just so wrong that I don’t even know what to say about it.]

Anyway, to return to the story, Sinterklaas is one of the best kept secrets in my country. Yet, believe it or not, I figured out that Saint Nicholas wasn’t real before I figured out that chickens weren’t responsible for rainbows. I was seven years old when I realized that the handwriting on the presents I got for Sinterklaas was that same as my mother’s and my parents tell me that I “cold-bloodedly confronted them about it and didn’t seem surprised in the least”. Maybe I was a little Einstein after all.

Why was I writing about all of this again? Oh, right, I’m getting my wisdom teeth removed.  Well, that sucks. As to conclude this post, I still have no idea why parents tell their kids weird lies. I suspect they just like to sit back and laugh about it.

So, that’s all for today. I have to go leave the country on a little white horse.



[i] By the way, have you ever noticed how dentists and doctors always say things like “it looks like”, “it seems that” and “I’m going to have to”? Even in Dutch, they tend to use similar euphemisms. What’s that about? It’s not like it make things any less scary and/or painful…
[ii] I’m sorry. I really hate to you if you didn’t already know. I hope you were sitting down.
[iii] Here’s a clip of me playing the saxophone at the Sinterklaas parade in my town last year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaUBHdcgfdg


6 comments:

  1. The question is, will you be telling your kids that the chickens are having a carnival?

    More often than not, it's easier to tell lies than have to explain things as they really are. Children can be really irritating with their questions (WHY? WHY? BUT WHY?), so to shut them up, they feed us with outlandish stories. Also, we're kinda dumb as kids. Might as well trick us while they still can.

    I like the fact that he arrives on boat from Spain. Why Spain?!

    That looks like a jolly party. Also, you seem to be very engrossed in your saxophone playing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I would tell my children! Probably not, though. I don't want them to suffer the same pain and embarrassment as a kid. :)

      As to why Saint Nicholas is from Spain is kind of a mystery. The thing is, he was based on, like, an actual saint, but that saint was bishop in Myra, in Turkey. It looks like at one point in the 1800s, a guy named Jan Schenkman wrote a poem about Saint Nicholas being from Spain and everybody just kind of went with it.

      And yes! I was so focussed I didn't even notice my dad filming me! I had to concentrate, because I was playing on a moving vehicle, sitting on a bunch of hay with screaming kids all around. :D

      Delete
  2. I figured out Santa Claus from the handwriting too! However unlike most kids I know I wasn't shaken up or horrified by the epiphany...I was like Huh, that makes sense and didn't really say anything. Guess I wasn't too imaginative...

    One thing I did believe for a long time was something my older brother told me. He said that if I stared at the microwave clock for too long while it was running I would turn into a robot. For some reason I believed this up through my preteen years...

    Also in the US the TV stations and the internet have the "Santa Claus tracker" every year
    http://www.noradsanta.org/
    and you can volunteer to answer letters kids write to Santa. So it's all a big hoax here too...

    My family also does La Befana, who, like Sinterklaas, leaves candy in your shoes on January 6th.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "One of the most popular lies aimed at children is that there is a Santa Claus. And an Easter Bunny, and a Tooth Fairy. Parents know perfectly well that there is no Santa, but they lie to their children about it. They do so because they claim it's sweet and cute and that children love it.

    The truth is, it's adults who need Santa. Children make up their own stories and fantasies and games. They don't need extra ones invented by adults. Adults need Santa because they desperately want to believe there is still innocence and goodness in the world"

    That quote's from John Marsden, a young adult author. It's an interesting point, but I think he gets his 'line' wrong. The line is not telling the story. The line is telling the story and then fabricating the evidence to support it. People tell stories to explain things all the time (see: every myth ever) but telling stories that explain something which you planted just so you could perpetuate the story? That's the weird part.

    Anyway, would I do it? Probably not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you chew your hair, you can actually get a ball of hair in your stomach, it's called a bezoar and don't we all know what to use it for if it comes from the stomach of a goat ;)
    Anyway, that can happen in humans too, but unlike cats, you are not puking to get rid of it.
    [/doctor mode off]

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always wondered what I would do with regards to Father Christmas and the tooth fairy when I come to having children.
    It was one of the most painful things as I child finding out Father Christmas wasn't real, mostly because I couldn't believe that all these people had to lie. Especially my parents.
    It made me question what other lies I'd been told. It actually made me start doubting my religion - if my parents had been lying about Father Christmas, how did I know that Christianity wasn't yet another extravagant lie?

    I don't really want my future children to be lied to. At the same time, I feel as though it might upset other parents and children. Would my children understand not to tell others that father christmas isn't real?

    ReplyDelete