Thursday, April 25, 2013

BEDA 25: Question Time!

*insert obligatory tree scent question here*

We always make fun about this, but it's actually quite a good question. I think my favorite tree smells are pine, Christmas tree (Caucasian fir, in my family's case) and the other tree that is also called pine but grows in the south (Italy and Greece; it reminds me of summer and vacation). I also went to our garden today to do some research, so I smelled all our trees and I have to add cherry blossoms to the list. It's on a tree, so it should count, right? Also, one of our neighbors was watching me and probably thinks I'm crazy now. Well.

Favorite TV show character (cartoons count)?

Oh, that's a tough one. Hmm... hmm... 

What's the grossest/most interesting medical condition you've come across since studying?

We learn about a lot of gross things. Some of the 'eww' moments were definitely STDs (I think we all have seen enough pictures of those), diabetic foot syndrome (I hate feet) and worms. There are pinworms which crawl through the colon about 15 cm per hour, then crawl out of the anus and lay eggs there. And then they die. There are also worms which preferably migrate into the eyeball.
I really have problems saying what's the most interesting medical condition. I asked my boyfriend if he remembers me telling something, but he confirmed my suspicious: I mostly only talk about dead people.  I'll come back to you about that if I remember something/come across something!

Do you like fishing? Why/Why not?

Funny you should ask. Funny that I got an email today from the Bookdepository, trying to sell me books about fishing *glances at Mia suspiciously*
I never really went fishing, so I can't tell you if I like it or not, but I'd rather say I would not like it. I don't like killing animals for fun and besides I'm way too impatient to fish.

What constitutes a good night in?

A really good night in includes: my boyfriend, pizza, a movie, a bottle of wine and a new episode of a TV show that aired that day.

Favorite genre of books? Some favorite books in that genre?

I don't really have a favorite genre per se. If I think about it, I read a lot of YA, but I would definitely not say that it's a genre I like in general. I do like crime and thrillers, for example the books by Henning Mankell and the Hannibal Lecter series. I also like books with character development. I don't even care so much about suspense and the plot, but I like when you really get to know the characters. Casual Vacancy and a book my Haruki Murakami were the last ones in that 'genre' that I read.

What constitutes a good night out?

Friends, good music and that amount of being drunk where everything is funny and great, but you are not too drunk or feel bad. And optional going for a kebab at 3 am.

If you were to write a story about medieval England, what would your main character's favorite flavor of gruel be?

I like that you phrased it 'write a story about' and not 'if you would be'. In my story, my character would probably be poor, so most days they could only afford gruel made with water. On special occasion, they would have milk and that would be my character's favorite flavor. With a dash of cinnamon.
(I don't know if they had cinnamon in medieval England and I also had to look up gruel. I'd do better research for my story.)

Favourite way to consume the potato!

Mashed or french fries!

What can't you live without?

Uhm, internet? My computer? Well, that's maybe not entirely true, I could go for a couple of days without those. On a longer term I would have to say water. Not in the 'people need to drink' kind of way, but that I hate drinking flavored stuff all the time. My boyfriend only drinks Cola and you can't drink the tap water there and they never have bottled water in the house. After a while there I go so crazy that I don't want to drink anything at all anymore. We usually have to make an emergency trip to the shop then and buy water for me.

2 comments:

  1. LOL, actually killing fish that you catch. I used to fish a bunch when I was a kid, during the summer. But I don't think I ever killed a single fish I caught. I did mainly catch the so called "garbage fish" - smallish fish not considered good for eating (like the small Common Roach)- so there wasn't even a reason to keep them, or kill them.

    Can't say I was a fan of fishing either though. It was dull-ish for a kid, mosquitoes and black flies bugged me, I didn't like hooking in worms, nor did I like trying to wriggle a hook out of a feisty little fish. Some of which could hurt you with their spiky dorsal fin (European Perch), making me nervous about getting a proper hold of them. But I liked trying to catch something, and the excitement of something finally biting the bait. So I'd occasionally fish with some guys regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to go fishing with my brother when I was younger, and we always threw them back into the canal. We did wish them good luck, though, because we thought their mommies would get mad at them for getting a piercing without permission.

    ReplyDelete