Thursday, April 4, 2013

BEDA 4: Counselors, CAREERS and Cops


The other day, I got an email from my faculty’s career counselor, asking me if I was close to making a decision about next year’s specialization. She kindly reminded me that my specialty would be of crucial importance for my FUTURE CAREER, and that she expected to hear back from me ASAP.

‘Oh, crap.’ was my first thought. I obviously needed a solution for this. This woman expected an email from me. ‘I can do that. I can type.’ I told myself, all the while ignoring the fact that the pressing problem was not the need to send an email, but the need to choose a FUTURE CAREER.

So, I typed and typed, and I wrote a lengthy email explaining what was not by any stretch of the imagination a fair representation of the truth. I told my counselor that I’d spent some time doing research (I had googled the words ‘career in Latin’ and ended up watching Latin dance on YouTube. That actually happened.*), that I had talked to my parents about it (which I hadn’t), and that I had narrowed it down to three different possibilities (Make that twenty-five). I failed to tell her which three specialties I considered, because I was smart enough to realize that I shouldn’t say anything she’s be able to pin me down on. So, I sent the email and relaxed a little. ‘Danger averted’, I thought, cleverly.

Ever since that email, though, I have been thinking about my FUTURE CAREER, and it struck me that I’ve always known things I wanted to do and jobs I wanted to have, up until the point where it actually became relevant and important.

For instance, when I was thirteen or fourteen, I wanted to be a police officer. I don’t know why I thought this job would suit me, because I have horrible eyesight (which means you’re not allowed to be a cop), I’m far from athletic (I reckon you need to be able to chase criminals on foot) and it doesn’t take much to scare me. Yet, I was completely obsessed with it. I read books about it, crafted myself a fake police badge and would never put a toe out of line. This went on until one night, as I was on my way home from volunteering at the community center (I figured this would look good on my application for Cop School), the police caught me violating the law. You see, we have this law that every bicycle needs to have lights on it for visibility, like cars do. It just so happened that the lights on my bike had stopped working earlier that week, and I hadn’t gotten around to buying new ones. I tried to explain this to the cops, but they didn’t want to hear it. They were mean, patronizing, and acted like I was just another careless teenager with no respect for the law. ‘But they don’t get it’, I thought, panic-stricken. ‘I do respect the law’. I kept saying  over and over again. I even showed them my badge.

After this incident, I felt sad and humiliated and I was kind of done with the police. And let’s face it, I wouldn’t have been a great cop anyway.

[Off topic, but, incidentally, I recently found myself in another brief accident with the police. You see, I was in Rome in Christmas Eve, at the opening of the nativity scene on St. Peter Square. There were more than two hundred people there and it was kind of a big deal for lovers of Christmas, like myself. The public was supposed to stand behind fences, while the important church people sat on soft chairs, being serenaded by the marching band. This seemed kind of unfair to me, and all of a sudden, just as the church people were being led away through the crowd, this Italian woman next to me broke through the fence and ran towards the scene. Now, I kind of wanted to take a closer look at that too, so I followed her, because, you know, when in Rome… The scene was very pretty (It had real water!) and I got some very cool pictures. The thing was, though, that I wasn’t exactly supposed to be there. Which is where the cops come in. One of them grabbed me by the arm and pulled me away, while rattling off an endless stream of incomprehensible Italian words. I imagine he wasn’t raving about the beauty of the nativity scene, but I can’t be sure. I didn’t go down with much of a fight, but still, I thought it was kind of an adventure.]

So, anyway, back to the topic: my obsession with the police force was quickly replaced by a radically different love: ancient languages. Ancient Greek and Latin had always been my favorite subjects in High School, and in my last two years they kind of became the only things I did. This was coincidentally around the time I had to choose a university and a major. Strangely enough, this didn’t make me nervous at the time, because the only thing I ever did was Latin anyway, so I thought I might as well major in it. I took it all very lightly. I knew what I wanted, my parents liked it, my Latin teacher took me to universities and I had everything figured out. I didn’t know what to do with a degree in ancient languages yet, but I was convinced that would come soon enough.

I did go to the career counselor at that time, which was a weird experience. I had never met this woman before, but within three minutes of me walking into her office, she had completely figured out what kind of person I was. I was, in her opinion, a very “girly” girl*, whatever that means, and even though I hadn’t yet spoken more than a couple of words, she knew that I was “an incredibly social young woman”, and that I would definitely do well with a FUTURE CAREER in communication. I was a little surprised and kind of wanted to laugh, but decided it was unfair to make fun of this woman, who obviously tried to do her job, so I answered in earnest.

‘Well, that sounds great, but I was thinking about majoring in Ancient Greek and Latin.’

Her facial expression went from cheery to concerned within a second, and she looked at me in pity, as though I was about to be given some bad news. She got a little book with information from her desk drawer and put the page about studying languages in front of me. Before she got around to dream crushing, she showed me something.

‘Do you know what that Greek sentence  means?’ she asked, pointing at a Russian line.

I didn’t, of course, and after telling her this, I decided the conversation was not to be taken seriously.  So, as my counselor showed me all the statistics in her book, about how the career prospects in Latin and Greek were really poor and how I could never make a lot of money (which is, of course, the ultimate life goal), then proceeded to gently force me to look at the statistics for communication (‘Lots of jobs! And you’re so social!’), I made up some things I wanted to major in. I specifically picked fields with zero job opportunities and jobs that wouldn’t pay a lot of money.

‘How about Egyptian culture, though? What are the statistics on that? Oh, not good? How about Hebrew? Babylonian? Assyrian?’

I think that when we reached Assyrian, my counselor gave up on me. She sent me off with some candy, which was really the only thing I got out of that conversation.

I suppose that counselor meant well, I just chose not to listen to her. I went ahead and majored in Ancient Greek and Latin anyway, and I totally love it. But what if I had listened to her? I would have been stuck being all social and communicative by now. And now that I still don’t know what I want to do with my degree, whose advice am I supposed to take? Is a counselor really an expert at making other people’s decisions? Should I ask friends, family, strangers? Should I listen to nobody?

All of this is to say, I have no idea what to do for a FUTURE CAREER. Feel free to leave possible career suggestions in the comments, preferably something that involves Latin. Or dance.

***


*During my “research”, I also came across this piece of crucial information about studying Latin:
“How cool is it? To be fair, it isn't. But if you want to cultivate the image of an aspiring intellectual, then this is the subject for you.”
How nice of them to say that! Why, yes indeed, I AM spending years of my life just to come across as an “aspiring intellectual”.
(Source:
http://www.independent.co.uk/student/career-planning/az-alevels/latin-644178.html)

* People have told me that this term is generally used for girls who like to wear make-up, dresses and enjoy braiding each other’s hair , non of which I have ever done. I’m uncertain where my counselor got the idea that I had.

5 comments:

  1. Good lord. Honestly? When someone, especially a counselor of any kind, acts like they can tell what you are like immediately upon seeing you, before you even say anything...it makes me seriously question their professional abilities and the validity of their advice. I would probably even consider getting offended at her.

    It seems like your career counselor simply doesn't know enough about how the actual fields where ancient languages are used work. I truly recommend consulting people who actually use their degrees in ancient languages (your teachers, professors, maybe people they could recommend you consult etc). I imagine a bunch of them are connected to archaeology and anthropology (sort of a supporting expertise to them). I know our Latin teacher pretty much does archaeology and history related work, when he's not teaching at the university, same as our classical antiquity in archaeology teacher (who is currently the reigning archaeology professor), just more focused on the language aspect.

    She is right though. Job prospects are utter crap for a lot of humanities careers, ESPECIALLY if they deal with the past, unless you can go with teaching. And even then it's usually a crappy situation. But the professionals working in the actual field might be able to advice you on how to survive it, how to actually get those jobs. In academic careers a lot is about how well you do in your studies and research. Get your name out there, get published, collaborate with people and so on.

    So. Because of my own educational background, my suggestion is pretty much looking into history and archaeology/anthropology careers/majors/minors. And connected to those three, maybe museum studies. :P I don't know about philology careers so I'm not gonna go there.

    ...Oh and Italian cops kinda freak me out. They looked so militaristic to me when I was traveling around in Italy. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, it's horrible. I complained to my teacher about it, and he talked to the counselor about it. I mean, counselors should be for distributing information, not pushing you to pick a major you don't even like, because of what they guess another person is like, or which makes the most money. I know that you have to be realistic about job opportunities and stuff, but the counselor I had to deal with was clearly out of line. She was also incompetent. I think I'll talk to one of my teachers, like you suggested.

    I have been thinking about museum studies, but there are only a handful of museums about Romans/Greeks in my country, and the government is cutting funding and such, which is stupid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's best to think internationally, not just museums in your own country. Ours are under funding cuts constantly too then there's the fact that the people who work in museums are often in there for the long haul and the only hope we have is that those people retire. But as they retire, the positions will not be filled again, instead they will divide the work of that person with existing employees in order to save money. And so on and so forth.

      Delete
  3. I got yelled at while in Sardegna last summer...I was using some wifi I wasn't supposed to be using and a large Italian man began yelling at me and didn't seem to understand that I wasn't sure what he was saying. But I kept hearing "la polizia" and "molti soldi" so I got kind of freaked out...

    People like that are horrible. My friend (who's studying literature) had a professor who wouldn't even comment on or review her work because she thought what she was doing was a "waste of time". She wants to write young adult fiction, kind of Harry Potter-esque stuff, and her professor was of the mind that nothing is worthwhile aside from Real Literature. I mean I know that as a professor you're going to have an opinion, but don't shut a student out because she doesn't agree with you.

    It's also been (in my experience) kind of difficult to talk to university employees/people about jobs much...they're all (obviously) very education-oriented, and there are a lot of jobs in education, but there are also a lot of jobs elsewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha. I've had that conversation. The irony: "Oh, communication studies? No no, very competitive field, not many jobs going and lots of graduates, you'll never get a position..."

    ReplyDelete