Sunday, January 29, 2012

Introducing Alexandra

Hello everyone, I'm Alexandra! I'm a third year Honours English and Film Major at Wilfrid Laurier University in Canada. Ever since I was little I always wanted to go into movies... as a Director. I'm not a big fan of being infront of the camera, I belong behind it, but I have acted before. I have another year in this program and then I hopefully ship myself off to proper film school somewhere for a couple of years. I haven't really decided where to go yet, and I'm trying to put it off just a little bit longer and focus on my last three terms her. My interest in filmmaking caused me to jump on the youtube wagon, which I don't update as often as I should. It's mostly filled with film projects from High School, University and the few I've done just for fun. I don't really vlog, most of what I've posted is either an adaptation of something or an original project of some sort.

 I'm also half of another project online: Death of the Author Reviews. We look at teen books and review them. It's a lot of work, but it's also a lot of fun. We recently just did a review of John Green's The Fault in Our Stars, so you all should go check it out. Death of the Author Reviews is loosely based off of the literary theorist Roland Barthes, essay of the same name. Barthes argued that once the author finishes their book there is no one interpretation of it, it's up to the Reader. We thought this would be a direction to take our reviews in. On top of that I have a blog where I talk about books and movies (my two biggest loves).

Other facts about me: I'm a trained and ranking Archer in Ontario, I used to compete during high school, but haven't been able to since I went away to university. I have a total fangirl love for Doctor Who, the BBC Sherlock, The Lord of the Rings (books and movies), fantasy books in general, Shakespeare, movies and musicals. I love camping, hiking, long walks and travelling. I'm off to San Francisco for my Winter Reading Week Break, so I may end up posting about that here at some point if people are interested. I can play the flute (not that well) and last but not least, I'm left handed.

Things I dislike: baseball, people who mistreat books, giant squids of anger and having to wake up early in the morning.

All in all, I'm a gigantic nerd, and love Nerdfighteria for letting us all connect. it's great finding people that love certain things as much as you do. I can't wait to get to know everyone on this blog and watch it grow into something awesome.

DFTBA

- Alexandra

19 comments:

  1. you, me and Matthew are all left-handed. This blog is quickly turning into a statistical anomaly! :D

    I'm rather interested in the film industry, also from the production side. Although my interest lately has been more on the TV production. It just seems like a very fascinating world. I would love to be a fly on the wall at the shoot of some TV show, shadowing production assistants, directors, writers...and top it off by stalking producers and such. I kinda wish I could magically find a way to work in the film/show industry for a while without having to spend all this time on going to school for it and so on first. But, oh well. xD

    I hear UCLA is one of those good film industry schools everyone and their mother in the industry went to at some point. Considering jumping over the Canadian border on this one yet? :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhhh statistical anomaly. Must form witty hypothesis!

      Delete
    2. Lefty Nerdfighters are the statistical anomaly of awesome. XD Go lefties!

      Delete
  2. I checked out your blog. Pretty damn impressive that you got a ducklerfish! I have a Yeti :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doctor Who is brilliant!!! It just needs to be said :D

    Also a trained archer?! that is really cool. I have only ever done archery about three times in my life and suffice to say I am rather bad at it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always wanted to be an archer, but somehow... never did it XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too have wanted to try archery. With my luck though, I bet I would somehow end up cutting my wrist or fingers despite the protective gear... xD

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tried archery once. I failed miserably. Apparently muscles and upper body strength is VERY important. Being scrawny doesn't work too well with archery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a D&D shirt! That's awesome! I approve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seconded. We should get a play-by-post going sometime.

      Delete
    2. Could you teach the un-knowing, so we can take part in it too?

      Delete
    3. All right.

      Post-by-post RPing 101: Play-by-post RPing is like acting and collaborative story writing combined. 1. Create a character. 3. Make it realistic to the agreed setting and do not make them flawlesss and too powerful. 3. Write from that character's perspective, and from that character's perspective *only*. Do not control other people's characters or "read their minds".

      The End.

      Delete
    4. This sounds like a good idea, but I may be too busy to play. *sigh*

      Delete
  8. So many lefties, and I'm loving it!

    About hoping over the Canadian Border to go to school: I have been thinking about it. I would love to go to the New York Film Academy.... but in the end it'll all come down to money. Which is sad. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes. US education = ridiiiiiiiculously expensive. Plus the housing costs in NY, eeeesh. :/

      Delete
    2. Exactly. The only way I could really do it is if i managed to get a full ride scholarship. One can dream right? :D

      Delete
    3. I recommend regular lottery ticket purchases xDDD

      Delete