Saturday, January 28, 2012

Meet Ali,

Hi, Hello, Good day to you all :)
My name is Ali and I'm a 19 year old Maths student from Bath, England (home of famous people such as Anthony Head, Jane Austin and Charlie McDonnell).

I go to Keele University, a smallish University with a wonderfully big campus and lots of lovely people. I'm currently half way through my second year of my Maths degree. This makes me half way through my degree overall, so the pressure is really getting going!

So why am I studying the degree I am studying? I've always had an interest in maths as it's a very black and white subject. There's no opinion in maths really so you're either right or your wrong. My aim is to go into teaching and was originally considering doing a teaching degree instead. However I choose to maths instead as it gives me far more options and I feel it pushes me further than a teaching degree would. Why Keele? This University just felt like home the first time I visited. The wide open green spaces at the Keele gives you a break from the concrete jungle we live in. Also, we're all one big family here and it's a very wonderful atmosphere.

So when I'm not doing maths what do I do? I love watching tv shows such as  Doctor Who and Glee, I love everything Harry Potter and I spend a lot of time stalking following youtubers such as Charlieissocoollike, nerimon, and the vlogbrothers to name but a few. I'm a practicing Christian and a lot of my time is taken up with Church events both at home and a University. I very much enjoy sleeping :). Other than that I enjoy spending time with my wonderful friends and boyfriend and just having generally silly times.

Things I dislike: The feel of cotton wool, arguments, period dramas, missing friends and family when I'm away from home and rap music.

Random facts about me: I play Clarinet to a grade 7 standard, I really like stationary and I've met the Brian May (the lead guitarist from Queen, whom my boyfriend is obsessed with).

Well that's all the important stuff I can think, so I'm looking forward to get to know everyone over the next few weeks.
Toodlepip for now and DFTBA
Ali x

15 comments:

  1. I love it when I refresh the page and suddenly there is a post <3

    "There's no opinion in maths really so you're either right or your wrong." - In school I always had the opinion that I was right, but the book said I was wrong ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you like most in maths?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmmm, that's a hard question. I like a bit of all of it. It's easier to list of the bits I don't like, which is dynamics/mechanics and operational research because I just can't get my head round them!

      Delete
  3. Gosh I wish I was good at math, or even like it! It would be so much more useful than being artistically inclined! But nope. Stupid math attitude problem, ruining everything...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not living in the right century, that's all. A few centuries ago in France, understanding maths was, well, ok, but you could not hope to go anywhere if you didn't speak latin, greek, and knew a lot of history.

      Delete
    2. Everyone seems to think maths is a particularly hard degree, which I guess it is. But at the same time, if you were to ask me anything about archaeology, I would just stand their staring at you with my mouth wide open...

      Delete
  4. F-YEAH! We have our official mathematician, now we just need to pay long distance calls to ask you silly questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need for long distance fees! THERE IS SKYPE! \o/

      Delete
    2. Yay for being the resident mathematician! By all means ask me silly questions on skype :)

      Delete
    3. there is now a text below your name in the sidebar, commemorating your status as the resident mathematician.

      Delete
    4. Wooo, it's all official like :) Time to go hug my calculator in celebration!

      Delete
  5. You don't like period dramas?! Alright, I suppose I can handle that... O_O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just as I can just about handle the Doctor Who thing... :P

      Delete