Wednesday, April 10, 2013

BEDA #10: More Tap Dancing!

Since I was little I've always really enjoyed musical theatre.  My mom used to take me to see small productions every so often, and paired with a stroll in the surrounding park and ice cream, it made for a  perfect day.  I suppose to some the concept can seem a bit odd, but really, what's more natural to us than singing and dancing?  Life is filled with moments where people wish they could express themselves in those ways, a bit of tap dancing on a sunny day or a slow mournful tune accompanied by lots of violins when a passing bus splashes you with street slime.  Musicals just make fulfilling these urges acceptable and profitable.

This topic has been on my mind as of late because this week I'm playing with the orchestra pit for "The Drowsy Chaperone"(which is a fantastic play, I highly recommend seeing it if you get the chance).  Basically, it's a musical within a comedy.  A man in a chair (that's actually the character name) plays this vinyl of a stereotypical 1920's musical and provides commentary while the play occurs in his living room.  Hilarity ensues.  It's completely cheesy and over the top, but that's what makes it so awesome.

Here is a quick snippet:


Now if you'll excuse me, today is a lovely Southern California day and I'm going to go outside and tap dance to celebrate.  Might even throw in some jazz hands...

Snapple Fact of the Day (cue funky bass): #44 - The bullfrog is the only animal that doesn't sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment