Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Welcome to Nerdfighteria: My Story

So this week we're telling our Nerdfighter stories, and how we managed to join this awesome community that grew around the Green Brothers. My story isn't really that long or anything but here it goes:

I was in my second year of Grade 12 (or what used to be called Grade 13, now it's called a Victory Lap) and I was dating this guy. No real need to go into information on our relationship, other than we randomly and suddenly broke up. This happened at the end of January and the beginning of February, just to put everything into context.

So my friends being as awesome as they are took time out of their days to visit me from their other high schools, universities etc. They had this idea that if they were to visit me and keep my distracted then everything was going to be okay and I would be back to my usual self faster then you can say "You're better then that Dude!" Their plan worked, but only so much. I was fine at school and when I was with my friends, but their distractions could only go so far.

The Thursday after the break up my friend John (This isn't his real name. I'm going to call him John, just in case he doesn't want his name on the internet. Not that I think he would mind, but what ever) shows up and he has his own ideas with how to deal with me. Instead of sitting around he gave me a list of things to do. So now I had a set of goals that needed to be completed.

The list (which I still have) is at follows:

- Watch Brian Regan
- Listen to Blue Oyster Cult
- Watch Reservoir Dogs
- Watch Bourne Trilogy (Movies)
- Watch Shooter (Movie)
- Read Terry Prachett (Books)
- Read John Green Books
- Learn to play a song on the guitar
- Read Lets Play Archive
- Watch Firefly
- Watch Serenity
- Listen to Joe Satirini
- Listen to Heart
- Listen to Dreamtheatre
- Watch Doctor Horrible's Sing Along Blog (IMPORTANT)
- Listen to Muse
- Learn a trivial skill
- Listen to Ozzy Osbourne's song Crazy Train
- Listen to Queen
- Listen to Red Hot Chili Peppers (Road Trippin', Porceline. The Otherside)
- Find a better version of La Vie Boheme
- Listen to Skillet
- Listen to There Might be Giants
- Listen to Dragon Force
- Listen to Mark Knofler
- Listen to Cliffs of Dover (Eric Johson)
- Listen to Cult of Personality, Living Colour
- Listen to Metallica
- Listen to La Grange - ZZ Top
- Listen to The Who, We Don't Get Fooled Again
- Listen to Stricken - Disturbed
- Learn Basic Knife Disarm

As mentioned on the list he also handed me a book, An Abundance of Katherines. So there I was, with a new book to read. He off handedly mentioned to me that John also posted videos online on youtube, but he himself didn't watch them. I slowly started watching Hank and John's videos and became hooked. I joined the Ning, but never really became active on it. Then when yourpants.org started I flocked to it and started making new friends.

As of right now, I'm writing on this blog and am trying to organize a Nerdfighter Gathering in Kitchener/Waterloo.

That's all for now. I hope the Breakup List helps anyone who uses it :)

DFTBA

4 comments: