Wednesday, February 8, 2012

I am not late. Nor early. I arrive precisely when I mean to.

I’m joking ^^. Hi! This much belated introduction post comes from a 19-year-old Med student from Portugal. I’m Helena and I’m currently on my 2nd year at university in sunny Lisbon!

When my brain isn’t on let’s-study-the-human-body mode, I usually spend my free time between TV series, cinema, news and a lot more Youtube than what I would like, actually. However, no matter what sort of thing I end up watching/subscriving to on Youtube, I feel like I’m learning all the time, about different subjects or just about different kinds of people, so I am not genuinely motivated to do something about is just yet.

I very much like reading and writing, although I feel quite sad to recognize how much university has come in the way of that. I’ve been wanting to dedicate to those again like I used to, but it never seems to happen. I still read and write, but very, very little in proportion to what I’d like. There’s this whole very exciting “getting back on the horse step-by-step” plan in my mind when my exams are over :b, let’s see how that goes! I just really need to learn how to organize and not procrastinate… (I’ve no idea how people can actually do this. Such jealousy for people with organized schedules and not-procrastinating minds…). Maybe some of you may give me some tips.

WANDERLUST. I’ve just very recently come across this German expression which surprisingly conveys in a very accurate manner what I’ve been strongly feeling over the last years – this fervent will to travel, leave and know the world. It’s like this HUGE urge to travel and go somewhere new, just for the sake of leaving. Being 19 and, of course, with restrictions wallet-wise, I haven’t done much travelling yet, but it does seem to be always on my mind. I get really childishly excited when I think about travelling or taking a gap year travelling/volunteering (oh, money!). I need to know as much as possible about the world :D - it seems overwhelmingly amazing. Enough with the little girl’s dreams! Uh, let’s see, other things about me …

Things I like: postrock music, OSTs, staring at walls… (which I’ve done quite a bit since I started writing this), choooocolaate, COFFEE, Harry Potter, English and Portuguese poetry, SUN!, learning new languages, laughing to tears

Thinks I dislike: stressed people (I’ve been slowly learning how to deal with this at uni…), rain and cold ( ‘._.)(so much), comedies (Ben-Stiller kind, sort of…), mangoes :b

To end, an even more useless fact: I’m always the short one in almost every group, I’ m 1.54m [google tells me that’s 5’’], so I get the “shortie jokes” :P

Very excited about being here :)

- DFTBA

24 comments:

  1. Damn you Blogger, why did you just delete my whole comment?

    Procrastination is a bitch. I don't know how people deal with it, there are always 500 more interesting things to do when I need to do something! In theory, on paper, I am a very organized person and my plans are flawless, but in practice... let's not speak about it!

    I also don't like stressed people... do you know those kind of people who are always after exams like "What did you write for question 1? Which answer do you have for question 2?". That annoys me SO MUCH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my god, agreed about the asking of answers after exams! I mean, you've already done the paper once, why go through it again?!

      Delete
    2. Yeah, right!? Not like you can change it anymore anyway...

      Delete
    3. >_>
      <_<

      I'm one of the stressed out people (at one point I was so stressed out I started to lose more hair than usual, notably more). Partly because I'm a perfectionist and procrastinate. But I don't think I rub it in other people's faces, not in 'real life' anyways - it's something I suffer silently for the most part.

      I've certainly learned not to ask people for their exam answers long ago. Unless the question was somehow odd and I'm just curious about it. I mean, why would I wanna get more stressed out about something I can't change anymore anyways? Psh.

      Delete
    4. I can completely understand about being stressed due to procrastination and perfectionism. Except I get stressed out cause I don't like to make mistakes. Deathly afraid of them more like it.

      In fact... I am lacking quite a fair bit of hair the past few weeks!

      Delete
    5. i understand the part about being stress because of procrastination, but I dont really like people who go on during the semester with a bubble of tension around them. They're usually the people asking questions after an exam too. I, too, can get really stressed out because of procrastination, before a presentention, etc.. but sometimes some people don't seem to let go, they don't even enjoy time with friends. I guess it bothers me more because they are the ones with the high scores, which seems to be pointing out all the time "you can't have it all". I think I would regret it later spending 6 years studying non-stop... I do study, but I can't do the whole non-stop thing. I think about this balance an awful lot, so I just could go on mulling it over. I'll go study now...
      (about procrastination... I cannot believe I have an exam in 4 days and I started Looking for Alaska yesterday morning. "I'll just read a few pages,I need something light to distract myself for a FEW minutes" I read until I went to bed. And it felt so damn good to spend the day reading. I'm sure I'll reconsider when my exam grade is out :P)

      Delete
    6. "Except I get stressed out cause I don't like to make mistakes. Deathly afraid of them more like it."
      That's pretty much the perfectionism part working there.

      "--but sometimes some people don't seem to let go, they don't even enjoy time with friends. I guess it bothers me more because they are the ones with the high scores,--"
      I wouldn't call what you are describing just stress anymore. It sure includes stress but it's more like one of the symptoms of a vicious circle they've gotten into.

      I mull over a lot of things and I worry about exams a lot and so on (good god I worry a lot)...However, when I'm with friends, I usually ignore my stress - unless it's an actual discussion topic. The fun distracts me from the awful and I quite enjoy that. :) I need my breaks from stress and dammit I will take them...even if it creates more stress later.

      Delete
    7. true, that's what happens to me too. No matter how late I might be doing something, when I'm with friends I just forget about it and enjoy :)

      Delete
  2. YAY more short people!

    Also, why don't you like mangoes? They're lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love mango juice, it's my favourite!

      Delete
    2. I don't know, I actually learnt it's one of the fruits with the most sugar, but it tastes bad to me xD. usually people pull the "what?" face when I say it tastes bad x)

      Delete
    3. ^ Sounds like me and pineapples. I hate pineapple. Especially pineapple juice. Eugh.

      Delete
    4. Short people will take over the world!

      Delete
  3. OSTs are awesome! I'm also not fond of Ben Stiller-esque comedies. In fact, when ever I see Stiller these days, I'm immediately put off by the movie...at least I can stand him better than Ashton Kutcher though. Eugh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate Tom Cruise and Mel Gibson. Can't stand them.

      Delete
    2. I always want to punch Hugh Grant in the face right after he entered on screen.

      Delete
    3. Mel Gibson is a douche. Cruise is a nut job. Hugh Grant...if I see Notting Hill one more time I will punch a puppy or something.

      But Ashton Kutcher...eugh...

      Delete
    4. I quite like Hugh xD... not so much the type of movies he usually does, I don't care much about romantic comedies, but I guess the accent plays a big part in this :b

      Delete
    5. All of the above with the exception of Hugh Grant. I quite like him. ;)

      Delete
  4. WANDERLUST! So there's a word for that! I always learn something new in this post...

    By the way, Sun is overrated, I prefer go on a walk in a rainy cold day, listening to music (by the way, high five for post rock music)... maybe it's because I hate using sunscreen...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually one of those people who gets sadder and sadder(LOL, I'm not sure sadder is the word.. sounds odd) and more depressed and disencouraged if I haven't seen sunlight in a while O.o. It can be cold, I just really need the sunlight and the blue sky. The beginning of winter is just... saaaad.
      So, I'm one of those walking clichés that gets really happy when spring comes. I have this wish to live somewhere outside of Portugal for a while and this is actually the only thing I think it would bother me xD, since I'm in the south of Europe and I would very likely go up :D

      - Now I want to know what you listen to :)

      Delete
    2. Within the post-rock genre: 65daysofstatic (I love them), Explosions in the sky, Mogwai, Tortoise...

      Delete
  5. Welcome aboard!

    Wanderlust is a fantastic word, and I think it's going to drive me to go backpacking through Europe some day :)

    ReplyDelete