Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Disney Movies For All Ages

Hey guys,

first of all, sorry for missing last week's post. I was abroad and without really realizing it, it became Sunday already and then I was traveling again and now it's already two days into the new week. Time passes by too fast!

I left home a bit more than two weeks ago, first I spent one week in Poland at ze boyfriend's place and then we went together to some ski jumping competitions in Germany and yesterday we came back to Poland. And tomorrow we'll fly to Norway for five days! Next Monday I will fly back home and then university starts again. So that's what I've been up to in the last few weeks; I'm always trying to use my vacation as much as possible - I hate just sitting at home, doing nothing, I prefer to travel and even sitting somewhere else doing nothing is better!
I always feel more inspired when I'm away from home, I have more ideas, I'm more creative, and even if I don't really have time or opportunity I always feel like planning or starting new projects. Do you know that?

So this week's theme is Animated Movies and I want to share some childhood (and adulthood) memories with you.
I had a couple of Disney movies on VCR and those I watched approximately a thousand times. There is for example The Lion King, The Lion King II, Aristocats, The Jungle Book, Tarzan, Snow White, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, 101 Dalmatians, which I would all count to my favorite movies and I still enjoy watching them!
I was never allowed to watch Snow White and Sleeping Beauty because my sister was too scared of the witches, so those I probably only watched 995 times. I used to have The Fox And The Hound on VCR, but my mother lent them to the daughters of a friend of hers and I have never seen that tape again. That happened around 15 years ago and I still hold a grudge against them because they claim that they don't have it, and obviously they are lying!
Since I only watched the movies my parents bought me, there are some left that I have never seen so far. Don't shout at me, but those include Pocahontas, Beauty And The Beast, Aladdin, Mulan and The Little Mermaid. I actually really want to watch them and I am planning to make a Disney Movie Rewatch Marathon (anyone with me?) soon.
There are always movies that I never really liked. Pinocchio for example, mainly because there was also a TV series about it and it was super scary. I've also never really made friends with Alice In Wonderland, I don't really like the story, I think it was just a bit too crazy for me.

And can we please talk about the fact that most Disney movies are really tragic and not at all suitable for children? In almost every Disney movies there are dead or dying parents and I still cry when Mufasa falls down that cliff.
Lately I've watched Up! and it was also so sad that I cried through the whole end of the movie. I don't know if we just didn't realize as children how sad those movies actually were, or if we just didn't care so much, but I can't imagine showing my child how Bambi's mother gets shot. Okay, that's not true, if I had to suffer through that, then my child will have to suffer too. 'Cause I'm gonna be a good parent! xD

A few weeks ago they showed The Lion King in 3D in cinema and of course I had to watch that! I've never seen it in cinema and it was really impressive. I watched it dubbed, I've actually never seen it in English, and I still know most of the words and I could sing every song of it. What I also never noticed is that this movie is amazingly well translated. Normally, dubbed movies are pretty crappy translated, especially jokes are over translated literally and just don't make sense in German. In Lion King they somehow managed to find an equivalent for every single pun and joke there is, so it really doesn't matter of you watch it in English or German. I'm curious, is it the same in other languages?

Sorry if this was a bit chaotic, I could keep rambling about Disney movies for another two pages, but I'll continue to do that in the comments of your posts and for now I have a FIFA game with my boyfriend to win. By the way, to those of you who play games: can you recommend me anything (I'm playing on XBox)?

DTFBA,
Sarah

5 comments:

  1. Disney always has the best translation in spanish too. But the last years I've been rediscovering disney movies with the original voices, It's quite funny to found out that, for example, Robin Williams is the genie or that Tom Hanks is Woody...

    About the gaming thing, Maybe I can help you... what kind of game do you like?... and by the way, It's for a 360 or the original Xbox?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XBox 360. I like games like Assassins's Creed, Fable, Lara Croft and lately I've discovered a love for FIFA. I tried GTA, but didn't like it really...

      Delete
    2. If you liked Fable you should check Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning, It's quite similar but with a lot more freedom. I'm going to keep recommending by the side of the RPG-related video games, Deus Ex: Human Revolution is an amazing mixture of Action and RPG. And I feel obligated to throw the Mass Effect saga in this post, because It's simply amazing, a few of the more epic games ever made.

      By the way, I tried to think anything in the line of Assasin Creed, something more action-platform-stealth related but the first examples I thought were PS only titles and the second option, for some reason, were the Batman's Arkham games... but I assumed that you have already tested those, If not and you don't hate the superhero thing... you should definitely check those.

      Delete
  2. Wow, most of my all-time favorite Disney movies are the ones you have never seen! And I never liked Alice in Wonderland either; it never held my interest as a kid.

    ReplyDelete