Saturday, February 4, 2012

About the French school system... (Aka why I'm probably gonna suicide by the end of the year)


Logo of the school I wanna go to.
(Just kiddin, of course). Well well well... I'm gonna talk here about the path you have to chose if you want to do an « intellectual » work (scientist, engineer, business man...). If you wanted to become a cook, or a plumber, or a technician, you would have to go through another system, which I don't know well.
Just some things, before I start: in France, grades go from 0 (you fail) to 20 (epic win), and from collège to high school, classes are numbered (6th being the first you attend, 5th the second, ... terminale the last one).

For the beginning, same as other countries, from what I've read : we start in what is called here maternelle (at the age of 3, I think), which is not mandatory. Then, at the age of 6, we enter primaire, where we learn to read, count, a bit of geography and history, and some English (depending on your primaire). Then, it's collège, from 11 to 15 (which is just soooo tricky when we learn English... It can lead to awkward situations, when someone says : and what class are you in ? And you are 14 and you answer « Well, I'm in... uh... college. » ^^). At the end of it, we have a national exam, called “Brevet des collèges”, with math, history, geography, French, where you need to reach an average of 10. Then, you go to high school (lycée), for 3 more years. At the end of your first high school year, you have to choose whether you want to study litterature (L), science (S), or economy (ES), and the classes you follow will then depend on that choice. (I chose S, which means I had ¾ of physics, chemistry, math and biology/geology, and ¼ of sport, French, English, German, history, geography, and arts) (arts being an option). To graduate and enter études supérieures, you need to reach an average of 10 in the baccalauréat, national exam n°2. (Btw, fun fact: thanks to options (latin, greek, music, plastic art, a third language, or extra sport) (you can choose 2 of them), it's possible to reach 21 points out of 20 on that exam) (but it's not usual, as you may have guessed).

There, you're supposed to be 18, and ready to enter interesting studies :D
How does that work? Well, you have 3 main ways:
-universities, which are public, and which cannot refuse you (to get in you just have to apply). You can become a teacher, lawyer, scientist, doctor...
-after graduating ingeneer/business school, which deliver a 5 year formation (ending with a diploma). To get in, you either have to send an appliance, with all your grades of high school and comments from your teacher, or to pass a competitive exam, depending on the school, but once you're in, you're in (unless you're especially lazy or insubordinate).
-classes préparatoires, which is the path I've chosen. It's “A French specific two years programme leading to a nation-wide competitive examination into a "Grande école", one of the top French engineer or business school system.” (I don't know if you've heard of Polytechnique (also known as l'X) (in science), HEC Paris (business), ENS Paris some of the best “Grandes écoles” in France).
To enter, you have to submit an application with all your grades from the last two years, and comments from your teachers, and if the prépa (short for CPGE, classes préparatoires aux grandes écoles) likes your application and thinks you're good enough, you're in. If not... Well, that's sad for you.
In science, you can choose for example MP (math physics), PC (physic chemistry), PSI (physic, engeneer science), or
BCPST (biology, chemistry, physic, earth science). As you may have guessed, I chose the last one. It gives me access to competitive exams allowing me to become either an engineer in “nature” (agriculture, water gestion...), a vet, or a geologist. How do the competitive exam work? Well, every student goes through the exam, and the best chose the school they want, the others getting the left overs, or nothing. (=> If I fail, I can redo (twice) the last year. And if I fail again, I've lost two to four years where I didn't get a diploma, and I have to start over. Nice, isn't it?) (But you can manage to go in the 3rd year of uni if your teachers agree). Besides, if you wanna be a vet, 500 places, 3000 students. :D You have to be one of the bests.
Of course, due to that, we go through a lot of pressure, and some students cannot handle it; one of my classmates had a nervous breakdown last year (and thus stopped), and there are seldom students that takes their life. You cannot be ill, you cannot miss a day, you cannot be weak. (Or you have to be good). The system will not wait for you. You either have to be wicked smart or work all day long (or love what you do), because only the better student get precisely what they want, and if you don't work, be sure that others will. I'm lucky enough to be interested in one of the exams that is the less wanted (and I understand things quickly); I though have time to do other things, and enjoy my life, but it's not common. One of my classmates/friends wants to be a vet. We go through 8 hours of classes from Monday to Friday, and we have 2 oral exams (1h30) plus a 3.30 hour long test each week (or course, what matters is not the grade but the rank). Each day, she works for 5 hours in addition to what we already go through. (On a 24hday, if you take away sleep time, eating time... well you'll see she works all the time) (and they are almost all like that where I study) (freaks me out sometimes) (but I'm in a "good"/selective prépa though). (And 8h/day on week end).
Fun fact: Remember what I said about the grades, from 0 to 20? With 7,43, I'm the 23
rd on 48 students, (well, 47, now). It's nearly impossible to have 20, (but quite easy to have zeros).
It's really hard, but it's also fascinating. I've learnt more in almost two years than I have in the rest of my life, and I now have extensive knowledge in a lot of topics. (Reason why I'll never regret that path, even if I fail. Which I hope won't happen).
Well, there! Now you know it all!

Hope you found it interesting, sorry for writing that much, thanks for what you've written (because it was really cool) (and you're all awesome!!!), have a nice day, and DFTBA!

PS: (If you have any question I could answer that you want to ask for the “Learning week”, please put it in the comments, cause I don't know what would interest you).Edited the 03/25/2012, added complements.

18 comments:

  1. We learned about the French system in school, but this was much more interesting!

    I heard that many French are going to Belgium to become vets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do, sadly. And a lot do the same when they want to become doctors, since, in France, only 10% of the students can continue after the first year (competitive exam), and you can try it only thrice, if I'm correct.

      You learnt about the French system in schoool? That's amazing! (And thank you).

      Delete
    2. I learned French in school, so they tried to teach us something about the school system there... but I only knew that there is premaire, collège et lycée.

      Delete
    3. many Finns go to Estonia to become vets. Estonia has lower standards for entry and accepts more people. It's really hard to get to study becoming a vet here, the competition alone is brutal. I think it's sorta same with becoming doctors too, but I hear of the vet issue more often.

      Delete
    4. Why are there so many people wanting to become vets?

      Delete
    5. That's a mystery to me too.

      Delete
    6. Clearly It's because of their indomitable love for bears, and their need to heal us.

      Delete
    7. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Wow, that's a tough system. I think I've made the conclusion that the European education system is freakishly competitive.

    And people taking their own lives every two years? That's crazy.

    I hope you do well for your final exams!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, since it's a competitive exam, I don't have to do good, but better than the others. ^^
      And, yeah, it's a tough system (but not as much as the Japan/Corean ones, though, so I'm kinda lucky.)

      About suicides, you have to take in account that we are a total of around 81 000, if you count economic, literary and scientific prépas.

      Delete
    2. Do you find it easier or harder to do better than others than just doing good?

      Delete
    3. That's a tough question to answer.

      In a way, though, it's harder because you don't try to reach a grade (objective), but a rank (subjective, sort of), and that evolves with time, meaning that you can never be sure that you will get what you want. It also means that if everybody's bad, well... you have it easy. So it depends on your objective and the context; I don't think I can really say: "it is easier" or "it is harder"; it just requires another mental attitude. I'm not competing against myself to be better, but against others, which means that if I start with an advantage (I speak English quite well for a French person), I won't try to get better there (by learning new words, eg), but will focus on the points where I'm not as good (in my case, physic).

      Delete
  3. Wow... Wow... Wow... This system is really scary... Why don't you choose the easy life of the wild llama? XD

    Now, really, I feel like our system is for lazy people... we don't have any competitive exams, except for entering the post grad like masters and doctorados.

    Awesome post is Awesome, good luck on the exams...

    Best wishes!

    Your furry fellow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I were to live the easy life of a wild llama, I wouldn't be able to live in France (unless in a zoo, maybe?), and I would probably die because of the cold. And I wouldn't know a thing about cells, zb. So I would be sad, and dead, I think. But thanks, teddybear :D

      Delete
    2. You can live in Argentina, there's a lot of your fellows llama here or adapt to environment, look at me, I'm a bear living in the hot south american summer...
      But yeah, cells are awesome... learning about cellular metabolism is one of those thing that make you see how wonderful life is...
      Anyway, You're welcome furry fellow.

      Delete
  4. Oh! Funny thing: Some upper secondary schools (the high school equivalent, in case you didn't memorize my whole entry by heart xD) here are referred to as lyseo instead of lukio, like usually. Lyseo, as I understand is a borrowed word deriving ultimately, I believe, from lycée. xD Lyseos are usually slightly harder to get into than lukios, requiring higher grade average. They are those pressure cookers I mentioned my friend was thrown into, where she was very unhappy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for etymology!

      Delete
    2. In Argentina, the secondary school that depend of a military force (army, navy, air force) are called "Liceo"... Random fact

      Delete