Monday, February 20, 2012

A Buffet of Topics

Pardon me for this late freestyle post. Last week kicked me in the shins and left me writhing in the gutter afterwards.

Like many others here have expressed, my life hasn’t been particularly remarkable this week, which truth be told is nothing unusual. But that is not the thing that matters right now, what matters is that I’m having a hard time coming up with a coherent freestyle blog entry with a single topic. Funny enough, I kept getting multiple ideas last week. Unfortunately, of course, I didn’t bother to write any of them down. I’m a 21-year-old woman, I should have learned to write things down already, it doesn’t take much when I’m at the computer constantly anyways and have the ability to type things neatly on a little file. But I digress. Instead of one topic, I’ve decided to do a variety of them, stemming from random thoughts.

Time

The other day I came to ponder on the subject of time as a currency. When you think about we treat time almost like a commodity, or currency, and not in a business-worldy “time is money” way. We try to save time in a variety of ways, hoarding it to ourselves with the help of advanced technology and production processes. And when others are willing to spend their time on us, we appreciate it. Hence hand-written letters feel more valuable to us than emails - handwritten messages take longer. When we receive one, we realize that the person who wrote it were willing to spend their valuable time on us despite there being faster ways to go about it, they spent their time thinking about us, doing something for us. It's practically like spending money on us!

For more ponderings on the subject, I recommend reading Moving Cultures: Mobile Communication In Everyday Life by Andre H. Caron. The book discusses, among other things, how new faster technologies give new prestige to the old ones, and it is the reason I came to think about this subject in the first place.

Frankly, discussions on concepts of time have never been particularly interesting to me. I had an archaeology course where the lecturer really clung onto the possible different concepts of time and how it could be possibly seen in paintings and objects and such but, frankly, I think he overanalyzed it and went for too abstract a theory. Sure some of it could well hold true but it still felt a bit too…lofty. It reminded me of an American article, marveling at the fact that the Finnish language doesn’t have a future tense and what that could possibly do to our concept of time. As if we somehow magically live more in the present than the people who do have future tense in their languages do. Nope. We just express it in a different manner, we have our ways. You should always be careful when directly connecting language, culture, material culture and social aspects and even world views. It often simply does not work.

But, anyways, the thought of us treating time as a currency-like entity sort of made pondering on the concepts of time slightly more interesting to me. I, too, recognize the good feeling of receiving something someone poured their time into for me and so on and so forth. I can see the phenomenon.

Adelememe

Now. I’m not a huge fan of Adele. I like a couple of her songs and I‘m glad she has gained popularity in a world where the billboards are filled with club and dance music, most of which I cannot stand at all. That’s about it. But as an internet dweller, I have come to notice Adele’s Set Fire To The Rain has practically become an internet meme, mocking the chorus line about setting rain on fire. I do wonder what is up with that just a bit, the popularity of this mockery I mean, not so much the fact that there is mockery.

Not all lyrics are meant to be taken literally, we all know this, so, why suddenly this one should be any different? Just because it's popular? It seems rather juvenile in this case: “Oh ha ha setting fire to the rain ha ha, that doesn’t work, oh ha ha ha lol face touching!“. To me this sounds like something 10-year-old boys might snicker about after they think they are being oh so very clever. So, yeah, this is a random thing I do not consider particularly funny.

Pest problem

Our apartment building has a serious pest problem. It’s called a karaoke machine. And my upstairs neighbor has one. Together they become an unstoppable horrible-machine. Like some convoluted, and frankly disturbing, Transformer. This man sings alone. And he might sing alone all day long. I wish I was exaggerating, but he really can sing all day. He also might sing at night, say, at 2.30AM. He is singing even as I am typing this. I can hear the lyrics, but it still sounds mainly like a drunken dog, howling. Or possibly a cow. Despite being able to make out words, it still sounds like an inhuman voice. I have started to support my mom’s notion of making karaoke machines illegal in apartment buildings. It is quite possible that it would save the world from destruction. At the moment it is very clear to me.

P.S. Not to nag, but people really need to ask more questions for the theme 6 thing in this document. There are dangerously many people without even a single question. We can't do theme 6 without questions. Should we change the theme to asking about anything you want to know about that person, instead of just about their degree? Would that be easier or more interesting/fun? Then we could maybe try asking at least one question from each person?

9 comments:

  1. It's quite difficult for me to imagine a language with no future tense. Well... I can imagine that you have some structures that allows you to speak about future actions or events... But how those structures aren't a tense by itself, I don't know if I'm clear, well... I'm not the linguist here. In fact, sometimes I mess up my own language tenses... So I'm not a referent even for an average language speaker.

    I think the karaoke machine isn't a problem by itself. People shouldn't drink and sing... I committed that crime a few times... It's not a nice thing to watch or listen... But well, secundaria is, if there's just one, the time to embarrass yourself XD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We suspect our neighbor is mentally disabled, or one of a very low IQ...who also drinks.

      Delete
  2. The funny thing about how people treat money like currency, is the fact that people often use ACTUAL money to save time. Like paying a toll to use a road that would take 15 minutes off your journey home. You can't actually buy time, you can buy to save time. Does that make any sense?

    It's so fascinating that the Finnish language does't have a future tense! So how do Fins refer to the concept of doing something in the future? But I do agree that it doesn't necessarily mean you guys all live wholly in the present.

    Adelememe: People are childish. Period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oeh, I was afraid someone would ask me how the Finnish language expresses future tense. The language is kind of difficult grammar-wise and I'm dreadful at explaining it, since I'm not a Finnish language major or a teacher of the language. So, I'll just try to find an answer I can quote or link to on google... -searches- Ah! here we go. In short, we use present tense and context. In more detail:

      "In Finnish there are no specific verb forms for expressing future. You use the present tense instead, and rely on the context. There are lots of little ways of making clear whether the verb implies the present or the future. You can, for example...

      Choose the correct case for the object:
      Luen kirjaa. - I am reading a book. (Partitive: present tense)
      Luen kirjan. - I will read a book. (Genetive: future tense)

      Use adverbs of time:
      Tänään on lämmintä. - It is warm today. (Today: present tense)
      Huomenna on lämmintä. - It will be warm tomorrow. (Tomorrow: future tense)
      (More examples to come)

      Note: In colloquial Finnish, people sometimes use the verb tulla ("to come") as an auxiliary verb. It might not seem to make much sense, but the logic is that you will "become to do" something in the future, the action will "come", in a sense. This is similar to saying "going to" do a certain action in English to denote prospective or future sense. Translated this expression would simply be "will do". This is mainly used for emphasizing futureness."

      And here's another fine and dandy explanation with examples: http://www.uusikielemme.fi/future.html

      Delete
    2. A lot of what you just said flew past my head, but I get the gist of it. Thank you for the effort ! :)

      Delete
  3. I do the 'time is currency' thing. In that, whenever I buy something, I back-convert it into how many hours I worked to earn that money, and ask if item x is really worth y hours of my life. It's really more of a quirk than an actual valuable decision-making tool.


    Having a future tense in no way affects how you think. It's the 'eskimos have a hundred words for snow' fallacy all over again (The technical name is the Sarpir-Whorf Hypothesis, look it up.) I mean, technically English has no proper future tense either, we just have a pair of auxiliary verbs ('will' and 'go' - "I will eat", "I am going to eat") which we combine with the present tense to make our future tenses. And we do just fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I hate that Inuit and snow example. Everyone loves to culture it. The Finnish language has a variety of words for snow too. It's simply because...well, we get a lot of snow every year, and when we talk about it, we occasionally feel the need to be more descriptive with just one word or something. Nothing special about that.

      Delete
    2. There is snow, and there is wet snow, and there is frozen snow, there is heavy snow and light snow... as far as I know there are no different words for that in English, but we have different words for it in German. Of course you can also very well live with just saying "It snows", but we choose to have different words for different states.

      I also don't see what's special about it. Some languages have words for things and some just don't, and if you do feel like you need a word, then you can still adopt it from a different language. Wanderlust, schadenfreude, doppelgänger, kindergarten? In my opinion that has nothing to do with culture.

      Delete
    3. ^ This is sort of what we were talking about a lot towards the end of last week at university, during a course on the archaeology of Oceania. There's a long history of connecting methods of studying language to the study of culture, material culture, heritage, even biological heritage. It was apparent especially in studying the culture and heritage of Oceania.

      I recognize that language does influence culture and vice versa. It is a part of the concept of culture and can sometimes indicate...things. HOWEVER! You have to be really careful when you use language and linguistics to directly make conclusions about other areas of culture - such as social aspects, biological heritage or material culture.

      Delete