Thursday, May 23, 2013

CDSM #23 - Confessions

Today, I'll be talking about this new trend that has surfaced on Facebook, that of University confession pages. I've only seen pages from unis in Malaysia and Australia, so I'm not sure if it has spread or came from  other unis worldwide.

So basically, people have been setting up Facebook pages where you can anonymously submit "confessions", usually uni-centric things about fellow students, staff, life on campus etc. Then these "confessions" are posted up for all to see, like and comment on. They can be pretty harmless stuff like complimenting people or testimonials of embarassing moments. But the more scandalous ones are those professing love for others (SO MANY), happening across x-rated situations, stuff about lecturers and others.

It's mostly all in good fun, although some things said can be very mean. I've seen some pages where you can submit pictures and people have posted pictures of girls whose butt cracks are showing. But like I said, it's a source of entertainment more than anything. Given the anonymity, most of these things are probably made up and shouldn't really be believed but it's still super fun to read all these crazy, outlandish stories.

I first came across other university's pages, but one for my university popped up a couple days ago so it's all hot and fresh. The posts have been rolling in like hotcakes. As much as I enjoyed reading other university's pages, it's incredibly amusing to read when you know who the subject is. Plus, people will often say all the things you don't want to say out loud yourself.

Some of my favourite ones include a post talking about how great an ass one of my lecturers has (totally agree), close calls of getting caught making out in places and people professing their love to some of my friends. Heck! One showed up today with someone calling me a "total babe". I have a feeling it was one of my friends who put it up as a prank, but boy was it a surprise. 

So is this a thing in your universities? CONFESS YOUR SINS, PEOPLE. 

4 comments:

  1. The British Unis certainly all have them. I steer clear of them since they are mostly filled with the unsavoury posts of boys boasting of their sexual exploits, which is a shame on so many levels.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just have those "Spotted" pages where you can write if you saw someone you liked. That can be hilarious, but mostly it's just embarrassing for those people. It's always written very cheesy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a "Spotted" page as well, like Sarah's university. Here's a (translated) excerpt from the page:

    "Ethnic, slim girl with a supersweet face, I saw you sitting on a bench in South Station. Then I saw you waiting for the elevator on the 8th floor of the Main Building. You really are like a beautiful painting."

    How cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I'd heard about these and I didn't know if we had one. I just looked it up and it's pretty horrible. Mostly it's just people either telling really stupid fake stories about, for example, performing fellatio on their roommate while they sleep, or making fun of/complaining about gay/trans/female/non-white people who have legitimate complaints about oppression and they way society treats them. It's just kinda sad to look at. Hopefully the other schools' pages are more entertaining...

    ReplyDelete