Wednesday, May 1, 2013

CDSM #1: Whiskey

Because when I get the writing bug, I just keep going (this is my 5th NICoA post, and the 2nd that has been a day after the previous one). Also the cold dark silence of May is looking to be bright and vibrant  with the enthusiasm generated by BEDA.

And because my normal way of coming up with ideas is to look around and see what there is, I'm going to write about whiskey, because my computer's closest companion is a bottle of Laphroaig (the Latin root of the word companion, cum panis: with bread, and therefore one with whom we share bread, has given me a strange picture of my computer and my whiskey bottle sitting down to eat bread together... my mind works in strange ways).

I was first introduced to whiskey a few years ago when my mum was having some Glenfiddich in the evening and I wanted to try some. Reasonably sure that I wouldn't like it, my mum was happy to oblige. I liked it. I can't say that I appreciated it, since it's reasonably good stuff and my inexperienced tongue (...) can't possibly have had the full enjoyment of it, but we must all start somewhere and I found the stuff palatable. My mum then told me to fetch the bottle of Laphroaig, which she doesn't like, so that I could try it. Further proving my previous statements, I couldn't really tell the difference (my Mum's opinion of Laphroaig is "if you like this stuff then I've got some compost you can soak in water for the same effect"), but since it went down just as easily as the other stuff and there was no one else who was going to drink it, I claimed the Laphroaig for my own.

From this rather disturbing (to a whiskey connoisseur at any rate) beginning I slowly made my way through the Laphroaig. Laphroaig is one of the more distinctive whiskeys since it is exceedingly peaty (hence the soak in compost comment) and having it as my normal whiskey meant that I could very easily try anything else without fear of finding it too overpowering. Moving off to uni I then discovered Jameson as a standard. A very simple whiskey it works great on its own and as a mixing ingredient, and so I really need to get around to buying a replacement, because I'm out at the moment.

In the last year or so that original bottle of Laphroaig ran dry, and since my 21 birthday was coming up I decided I wanted a new one (it's not cheap- I fund most of my drinking habits from my student finance, but Laphroaig isn't quite covered). A family friend suggested that my mum buy a 21 year old bottle. Having had my wishes and desires explained to her (no, I'm not going to pour it out for all and sundry; no, I don't MIX Laphroaig! Yes, I'm going to enjoy it more than some generic whiskey) the idea of buying a bottle that is several times more expensive than an expensive thing so that I could "lay it down" didn't strike my mum as a great idea, so I got a 10 year old- exactly what I asked for and wanted. It is right now eating bread with my computer, and it is very nice. The well meaning friend took the refusal of her suggestion to heart, and so also bought me a bottle of whiskey- some Jura. It is much lighter than Laphroaig (really doesn't take much) and is quite salty. Very happy with it. Then last month when my 21st party came around (3 and a half months late, as previously discussed) my extended family bought some 18 year old Glenlivet. My mouth is watering- can't wait to try it, but I've got so many open bottles of stuff that I really ought to finish some before opening another bottle of whiskey. So turning 21 has yielded 3 bottles of very good whiskey. Result.

And that is my whiskey story so far. I haven't tried anywhere near as many varieties as I would like, and haven't ventured anywhere near Bourbon (I don't think I've even ever tried JD) but I will get there. Right now I am enjoying what I know, and when I eventually get around to visiting Scotland the stills had better watch out.

(Notice that despite my Sailor's bio I didn't talk about Rum. I could have- I do have 4 bottles of it in my room right now, but I didn't. All the same, the idea that the American Navy is dry is disturbing to me: I've heard Royal Navy officers talk about Grog, and seriously, Rum and the sea go together like... I'll get back to you, I'm really bad at similes.)

2 comments:

  1. The only whiskey I've ever had is Jack Daniels' Tennessee Honey. I like it because it is sweet and it tastes nice. Let the hatin' commence.

    (Personally I'm more of a cider guy, venturing occasionally into obscure beers. Like, there's this one beer made by a local brewery called Beez Neez. It's a quite tasty wheat beer which is brewed with honey. It is amazing.)

    Honey is apparently a recurring theme in my (fairly limited) drinking repertoire. Maybe I should track down some mead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Track down some mead and tell me about it! We were trying to persuade the college bar in Cambridge to get in a cask but they said "if you can guarantee people will drink it we'll get some, but we won't believe your guarantee, so we won't". But I really want to try it! I won't hate on people for drinking what they like! I'll look down on you, sure, but... :P

      The most adventurous beer I've ever had was a chocolate stout. Recommended, but only if you like stout (for basic purposes read: Guinness) to begin with. I like what my local brewery turns out and spurn mass production, although will view cheap as its own virtue on occasion (John Smith will do). I've not met a cider that I like yet, so I won't venture an opinion on it.

      Delete