Monday, May 13, 2013

CDSM #13 Wh?


CDSM #13
Okay so here are some answers to some questions :)

Where are you going on holiday?
À France! To a little campsite near the town of Vic-sur-Aisne in the north east about an hour and a half away from Paris. We’re staying in a mobile home for a week and we’re going to Disney, as both James and I want to relieve our childhood.

What games do you play?
I’m not really a computer game type of person, although I do have a few guilty pleasures from childhood such as crash bandicoot, spyro and anything sims. Also pokemon. I get very competitive at board games, to the point where quite a few people refuse to play monopoly with me anymore, as my strategies are too ruthless. Another couple of favourite boards games are logo (a game where you have to identify logos and answer questions about brands), and articulate (a game in which you have to describe and guess words in a set time).

What’s James doing?
Currently he’s led on my bed, eating biscuits and watching me type this. However, I assume that you’re referring to what he does with his life in general. He works as a senior administrator for a training company (basically he’s the office gossip/holdertogetherer) . He spends a lot of his free time volunteering for the British Red Cross, helping people in their hour of need. Also, he’s nice to me some times.

What is your favourite mathy thing and explain it to us?
My favourite area of mathematics is cryptography and coding theory, which is basically the maths which keeps all your personal information safe when paying for stuff online. I would explain it to you, but unfortunately it’s far too broad an area mathematics to explain. So instead I’ll attempt to explain a formula which actually made me question my life. I’m guessing you all know what pi is (you know the 3.14 the ratio of the circumference to the diameter of a circle), I’m not sure if you know what e (Euler’s number). This is what it equals:




Which is approximately 2.72 and irrational like pi.
Also, I’m not sure if you’ll know what I is (as in the irrational number), but it’s given by the square root of -1
So this is all well and good, but what’s exciting about that. Well it’s when you combine e, i and pi you get interesting results. Be prepared to be amazed.


Wait what? These seemingly unrelated number when combined in a very specific way equal -1. What?! Yeah.

What’s your little niece doing?
You know just living the hard life of a baby. Eating, drinking, pooping, crying and sleeping. Also, not just pooing, but projectile pooing at James’ mother, who needless to say, nearly screamed down. It was the pure look of joy on my niece’s face compared to her nan’s reaction which I just couldn’t but laugh at. Also, does anyone know why babies clothes have pockets? I mean what is a baby going to need a pocket for? They can’t even coordinate their own limbs yet, but they’ve got a handy place to store bits and pieces if they so desire. But yeah, Elsie is a cutie, and I love being an Auntie.

Whould you like to be Queen?
I’d like to be a princess, but what girl wouldn’t want to be at some point in their life? I don’t think I would want to be a Queen though – far too many efforts to give. James says he wants to be in the band Queen on piano because Queen is the best band that has been, continues and will ever be in the whole entire multi-verse. James just likes Queen a little bit.

4 comments:

  1. 手をとりあって
    (I don't know Japanese, but it is a Queen reference)

    I'm currently studying for a communications systems exam, which means that I am very much aware that e to the j pi = -1. Also, that V/2(exp(jwt+Th)+exp(-(jwt+Th)))=V cos(wt+Th), which is very useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is calling root -1 'j' an engineering thing or a your specific maths teacher thing?

      Delete
    2. I've noticed that we use j in physics and i in maths, here. Not sure why.

      Delete
  2. One of my teachers in junior high used to live across the street from Queen's drummer.

    ReplyDelete