Sunday, April 6, 2014

BEDA #7:***!ANIME!***

So for the majority of my life, I was one of those people who refused to watch anime because I was intimidated by the stereotype of an animated show with tennis ball-eyed school girls, consistently loud, passionate dialogue, and generally odd ball scenes where you start to wonder, "Why are these vegetables committing suicide?"(Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzEQ1n7EHPM)   However, college has made me more open-minded to other nerd cultures and, after watching a few, I have come to find that they're actually right up my alley.  So far I've only really ventured into action anime, but who knows, maybe I'll soon find the courage to watch My Bride is a Mermaid.

I started with Cowboy Bebop, which seems like a decent gateway anime.  It's pretty much the animated Japanese version of Firefly, but instead of Nathan Fillion doing what Nathan Fillion does, the rag-tag space crew is led by super cool Spike, a crime syndicate member turned good-guy bounty hunter.  It lacks the extremely crazy bits of the genre, but maintains the comedic anime touches in healthy sprinkles.  Probably one of the best parts about that show is the Jazz theme, which can be seen in the titles and heard throughout the soundtrack.  Tank! is one of the best theme songs I've ever heard, and the title sequence immediately sold me on watching. Also, Ein is the most adorable animated corgi on the planet so bonus.

Go dance to this now.

My next show choice was Fullmetal Alchemist, both FMA and Brotherhood, which focus on two brother alchemists trying to recover things lost to an alchemic transaction gone wrong, all while mastering their "science" and eventually playing a huge role in saving humanity. FMA (the first series to be made) captivated my attention quickly.  It is much heavier in subject matter but makes up for it by adding a lot more comedic relief, mostly in the form of making fun of Edward's height.  Side note, is Edward a popular anime name?  I've seen it in at least 3 different shows so far.  Anyway, FMA is excellent, but Brotherhood just blows it out of the water.  The last season is non-stop intensity until the second to last episode. (My face was all : OOOOOOOOOOO)

Characters of FMA:Brotherhood

I just started Attack on Titan, which immediately got dark (much like FMA), although the mood is (so far) always in battle mode, especially since the main character bursts with rage every 5 minutes.  His sister is much more quiet but waaaaaay more of a badass.  This is one of those shows where it gets so intense that sometimes serious scenes turn into comic relief just because you're so on edge and you need something that isn't death, lordy.  Also the Titans (gigantor human-looking beings who would like the taste of crow (for all those who saw the GOT season 4 premiere) ) are flapjackin' terrifying with their big smiles. 

Creepy as hell.


So in review, this is what I've learned about anime:

1. There are a lot of flashbacks to one pivotal event
2. There are a lot of title sequences featuring upbeat Japanese rock over intense fighting sequences
3. There is a lot of passionate yelling
4. Sometimes weird things happen but if you accept it you can fully realize the brilliance behind them
5. Things can fluctuate from intense to corny in the blink of an eye and a lot of times without warning
6. Blood has a tendency to explode rather than squirt or leak in a more natural way
7. Physics isn't a thing
8. Eyes
9. Bangs
10. Little Chibi versions of characters everywhere
11. The shiny glasses thing (you know what I'm talking about)

I would love to know what anime you all are in to, and please send recommendations my way for both anime and manga!






2 comments:

  1. I love Full Metal Alchemist and FMA: Brotherhood! Probably my favorite anime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very picky about anime since my attitude towards is always initially "boooo!". I find the art style annoying and blurgh, and it's hard as hell to avoid online where everyone and their grandma seems to love all teh animu.

    But in recent years I've gotten more into few chosen series. I watched Cowboy Bebop, it was nice, I also watched FMA Brotherhood and liked it - wonderful creepiness. I enjoyed Death Note to a point. And I got really into Attack On Titan, which is now frustrating me with the long break. (Mikasa isn't Eren's actual sister by the way, buuut may as well be. xD) I also tried sitting through Trigun but couldn't and I checked out One Piece as well but honestly it was pretty bad.

    If you really want to go "???" at physics, watch Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin. It was popular in Nordic countries when I was growing up. It's about gigantic bears, bear hunters and most importantly their dogs and the wild dogs living around the bear territories. The main characters are dogs. It has such stupid physics but it was so addictive to watch. xD

    If you wanna go with more American "anime"-imitation stuff that is actually good, then check out Avatar The Last Airbender if you already haven't. And continue on to The Legend of Korra, which...isn't as good but it has some cool things in it.

    ReplyDelete