Sunday, April 6, 2014

BEDA #6 Thoughts from a tutor

On and off for the past two years, I've tutored students who are retaking subjects that they had failed, as well as current students conducting their own research. But that was always one-to-one or small groups. For the past three months on the other hand, I've been a part-time graduate tutor - teaching tutorials to groups of 10-15 students. It's good fun, and can be very intrinsically fulfilling if you're into imparting knowledge and those sort of things. But it can also be extremely frustrating when you can't get through to someone, or nobody ever answers you in class. These are some things that have popped into my head at least once in the last three months. 

When everyone seems stupid
" Stupid people should not be allowed to procreate" 
" How did you ever get into university?"
" JUST. READ. THE. GODDAMN. TEXTBOOK. THE. ANSWER. IS. THERE. "
" Please don't fail, please don't fail, please don't fail"

When everyone seems smart
" Oh wow Why did I not think of that? "
" That was a smart question. Shit. I don't know the answer. HEEELLPPP"
" You most certainly must be thinking that I'm stupid right now. Maybe I am" 
" I definitely did not understand that when I was in your shoes"

When I can't believe I'm being tasked to impart knowledge. 
" Why are you people so motivated to come for an 8am tutorial. I'm getting paid. What's your excuse"
" Oh, if only they knew that I don't actually know anything but am just really good at bullshitting"
" Has anybody even been listening? "

There's a mantra that a fellow tutor told me at the start of my tutorship. "Assume maximum stupidity, and start from there". It sounds horrible, but it works. It's helpful for people who really do need the help, and it's helpful for me because it feels like my work is half-done when I face moderately intelligent people (which is most of the time). Ah, life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment