Saturday, April 19, 2014

BEDA 16: Literally.

There's currently a post around on Tumblr, where somebody literally translated German idioms/phrases and I find that really funny, so I thought I'd compile a list for you as well. Those are all phrases that we actually use often in conversations (I feel like I never really hear any English idioms I learned in school. "Oh man, there's really no room to swing a cat!")

Your English is under all pig.
Dein Englisch ist unter aller Sau.
What it means: "Your English is bad."

I believe I spider.
Ich glaube ich spinne.
What it means: "I think I'm going crazy."

I believe me kicks a horse.
Ich glaub mich tritt ein Pferd.
What it means: it's something you exclaim when you can't believe something

Nobody can reach me the water.
Niemand kann mir das Wasser reichen.
What it means: "Nobody is as good as me."

I see black for you.
Ich sehe schwarz für dich.
What it means: "I think it doesn't look good for you."

I get foxdevilswild.
Ich werde fuchsteufelswild.
What it means: "I get really really angry."

I understand only train station.
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.
What it means: "I don't understand anything."

Now we have the salad.
Da haben wir den Salat.
What it means: "Now we have a mess."

That's spanish villages to me.
Das sind spanische Dörfer für mich.
What it means: "That something I don't know anything about."

At the ass of the world.
am Arsch der Welt
What it means: "The middle of nowhere."

To be over the mountain.
über den Berg sein
What it means: "To be out of the woods."

To have a roof damage.
einen Dachschaden haben
What it means: to be crazy

To step into the fat pot.
ins Fettnäpfchen treten
What it means: to embarrass yourself

He has bumblebees in the butt.
Er hat Hummeln im Hintern.
What it means: when somebody can't sit still

That comes me not in the bag.
Das kommt mir nicht in die Tüte.
What it means: "I don't accept that."

Sponge over.
Schwamm drüber.
What it means: "It's water under the bridge."

He made us a line through the bill.
Er machte uns einen Strich durch die Rechnung.
What it means: when somebody spoils something for you

That's sausage to me.
Das ist mir wurst.
What it means: "I don't care."

I have now really the nose full.
Ich habe jetzt wirklich die Nase voll.
What it means: to have enough

Everything for the cat.
Alles für die Katz.
What it means: "All for nothing."

To sell somebody for stupid.
Jemand für dumm verkaufen.
What it means: to take somebody for a fool

No comments:

Post a Comment