Friday, April 4, 2014

The Fact That This Is Two Days Late Is Telling

In the past few weeks I have been...

1) Writing a Harry Potter-based script for my a cappella group's show in May...

Excerpt:

Harry and Ron rush over to the Cal Quidditch team booth. Two students are manning the booth

RON (to HARRY): Wowowowow! This is crazy! I didn’t think they had Quidditch outside of Britain! Or even outside of the wizarding world!

QUIDDITCH TEAM MEMBER: Hey, are you two interested in playing Quidditch?

RON: Are we ever! When do you all hold tryouts?

QTM: Well, we have two teams, and there are tryouts for the more competitive team.

RON: Well, sign us both up!

QTM: Just fill out your email addresses and phone numbers here.

RON: Huh?

HARRY: Those things, remember? The numbers and letters and things, with the funny little circly a-symbol…

RON: Oh, right. Dad helped me figure it out.

RON starts fishing around in his pocket for a slip of paper. He takes it out and copies down, out loud…



RON: I, Ronald Weasley, am definitely just a muggle circly a-symbol berkeley. (Pause, like the end of a sentence) Edu.
2) Thinking a lot about/doing a lot of music-related stuff. I just went to a music department panel about listening; how we listen to music, how we listen differently, what active listening means, etc. It was super interesting; it's amazing how much there is to pay attention to and how much I miss most of the time.
3) Listening a LOT to Janelle Monáe...
4) Having a lot of senioritis...
5) Getting an iPhone! I am finally part of the 21st century.
I'm planning to go into San Francisco this weekend which will be nice. I haven't been there in months. I miss the ocean. Probably gonna get some Ghirardelli.
There are protests going on right now by the grad students on campus about unfair labor practices. The university does not pay them well at all and basically uses them as cheap labor. The idea is that they have to work to get their PhD, that it "builds character", but it's really pretty crappy. I hope all goes well for them. 20 students at UCSC were already arrested, and based on the track record of campus response to protests here lately, I am not feeling too positive about it.
Also we're in a drought here...which really sucks...it's rained a bit but not nearly enough. It's been super clear the last couple of days...
My next post will be much more exciting, I promise. I'm just kind of braindead from school. I need summer now, but it's still a month and a half away.

1 comment: