Sunday, September 9, 2012

Mia's Room


Welcome to my room. The place where I am glued to the computer screen. Feast your eyes as I just cleaned it! (Click the thumbnails for the larger images)


Here you can see the right side of my room, where the only properly decorated wall is located. There hang posters of Conan O’Brien support (when he was getting kicked off the Tonight Show because Jay Leno decided he didn’t want to quit after all - art by Mike Mitchell) and the first Cylon war from Battlestar Galactica. Framed with nice and cheap picture frames from Ikea.  Between the posters, among other things, is a mask I bought from Venice and in the corner is my bulletin board, where I store important and stupid crap. Like a banana plushie keychain my friend gave me as a birthday present. It looks like a penis when you peel it. My friend did her shopping at an erotica store.

Photobucket

Anyways, on the floor there is a jumble of wires. It is also where the internet lives. Then there are the two small TV counters that I use as shelves for books, DVDs, and other doodads, as well as for housing my scanner-printer-copying machine combo. My computer is perched on a footstool matching the chair I have. Actually, it’s perched on a cooling platform that’s on a Pink Panther comic book that’s on the footstool. Interesting, I know. If you look close enough you might even spot my pile of tissues. Oh, and on the top side of the image, where the curtain is, you can see some feathers. They are from a dream catcher I have hanging from the ceiling above my bed.

Photobucket

Here’s a detail shot of the contents of one of my TV counters (the other one shall remain a mystery to you, because of poor lighting). There’s a lot of fictional murder in there. Also sci-fi. Then there are the anatomy books, post-its, random military insignia, fans, a signed Piano Guys CD, and possibly the single geekiest setup in my room: A cylon figurine with a T-Rex accidentally posed to bite its hand.

Photobucket

The left wall of sadness. Few months ago I made a pathetic attempt at finally decorating that wall but, yeah, it’s still rather empty and miserable. There is only a printed image of a painting of mine and a collage of behind the scenes photos from Silence of The Lambs that came with the special edition DVD.

There is my fairly comfortable red chair, which I rarely actually sit on. It mainly works as an additional shelf that usually houses my bag, maybe some handouts and notebooks, and what ever I’m going to wear the next day. Right now it has my hoodie, by bag, a notebook and my warm blanket with reindeer images on it. The only reason my clothes aren’t there is that I removed them when I vacuumed it…and didn’t throw them back because frankly, I’m not ready to share my pile of clothes with you people, plus then you wouldn't have seen the chair well enough.

That thing hanging from the handle of one of the doors of the built-in closets is an USB cable. That handle is where I keep some of my wires. Yes. And within that closet there are the rest of the books I wanted to keep in my room instead of the hallway closet. As well as some random crap.

Then there is my bed. Which looks all colorful. It’s something I’ve shocked people with in the past (the bright or pastel-y colors don't generally match people's perception of me. They are right, but my secret is that I don't care about the colors of my bed sheets as much as I do about how good the fabric feels, eh heh). Also, clearly the best pillow ever: my Snufkin pillow.

Photobucket

The End.

(Spotted something in one of the photos? Anything related to my room you want to know more about/want me to talk about? Just ask about in the comments.)

7 comments:

  1. AHHHHHHHHH MOOMINS! That was one weird show of my childhood :D
    Your room is really pretty, and so spacious!
    One thing I can't quite get over is how little "stuff" you have. As you'll see when I post my room is that I have a lot of trinkets and bits everywhere. Do you not have much, or do you have really awesome storage solutions (if the later, I'm really jealous!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moomins cartoon and the books, totally not weird for any Finn, especially one that grew up in the 90's (or after) or has kids who grew up then. ;DDD It's a huge deal over there. For obvious reasons (the author of the books was a Finnish woman). A cultural phenomenon, really.

      I generally just don't have a lot of stuff I suppose. Not the kind I'd like to keep in my room or in display anyways. I don't like having a lot of trinkets around everywhere (actually wouldn't mind having a bit more than I do now - I'd love a book shelf I could put more of my things on, along with my books). But yeah, I do also have a bunch stored in closets. (Partially because I don't have anywhere else to put them)

      One of the walls in my room is just a row of 5 built-in closets (didn't take a full shot of that because that would be dull, but you can see a couple of them on the 4th image). In one of the closets I keep more books, some papers, university handouts, notebooks, and some doodads (like a drumstick that my mom caught when the drummer of Apocalyptica threw it in the crowd after the concert, camera objects etc) on a couple of the shelfs. In another closet is my acoustic guitar, a scale, a suitcase, and some plushies. (The rest is mostly clothing, towels and what ever else generally goes in a closet)

      Delete
    2. That's cool, I didn't realise quite how many closests you had. I thought I had a lot!

      Moomins were a very odd programme for us. I still enjoyed it, although it was a bit trippy :P

      Delete
    3. Yeah. All of our clothes, towels, sheets, curtains and such are pretty much stored in my closets.

      Delete
  2. Do I see Gray's Anatomy in your shelf?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed you do! :D (Right on top of my likely heavy enough to kill a man on impact book Atlas of Human Anatomy And Surgery) Got it for 2€ from a fellow archaeology student and she hadn't even opened it before it seemed! It's in really good shape. But good lord, tiny text!

      Delete