Sunday, April 1, 2012

Trust Me, I'm A Doctor

Soo, I don't even have a reason why I disappeared in the last weeks, time just... passed by so quickly and suddenly it's already a new week with a new theme. Crazy. I have two weeks of Easter vacation now, so I'm flying to Poland on Wednesday, last time before the study mania begins! It snowed there yesterday while I was running around outside without jacket here; I'm not too psyched about that, I already have enough of winter.

Let's see what questions you had for me:

How much do you need mathematics in practice in your field, and is there a large quantity of mathematics in your studies?

As a doctor you will need mathematics, no matter what field you work in. The most important thing you need mathematics for is calculating doses of drugs. Sometimes you have to give 1mg/hour/kg body weight, and it doesn't just say on the package how much you need. If you give narcotics and you miscalculate and give 1mg instead of 1µg, the patient dies. So in theory, knowing mathematics would be really important. I'm saying would be, because we don't have any mathematics in our studies. Of course it's all basic mathematics, nothing really difficult, but I think it would still be important that we get at least some training, for example to calculate in your head, without calculator. That comes from a person who puts 2+2 in the calculator (I seriously checked everything in school so that I don't make any mistake, because I'm so sucky at calculating in my head).

What were some of the most difficult parts of your studies?

Of my studies: the exams. We have one big exam after one year (two semesters). It consists of 160 questions from all subjects and you need 60% questions correct in total and 50% in each block (there were six blocks in the first exam, like anatomy+histology, or physics+physiology). If you fail a block by one question, you have to repeat the whole exam. That's basically the story of my life and the reason, why I'm one year behind.
It's a lot of pressure to study and we are sitting for months, trying to learn as much as possible and if you are a procrastinator like me, you are in a lot of stress when the exam comes closer.

Of medicine in general: probably dealing with sick people, especially terminally ill people. There is really nothing easy about dying people and you somehow have to learn to cope with it. What I find difficult is to keep an emotional distance and be nice and supportive at the same time. It's especially hard to see young people struggling with diseases when you know that they don't really have a good prognosis. It's a bit like The Fault in our Stars, just in real life.

How much hands on experience do you currently get?

During the semester - not so much. In theory we have practical courses where we are supposed to learn things, but that only the theory. Can you imagine that my stethoscope never touched a patient so far? We had a course about auscultation (listening to the heart beat), but they didn't even let us try. That's sometime that really annoys me about our study plan, because I think those are important things to learn and I don't think it's really our responsibility as students to find a nice and patient doctor who would explain it to us later.
That's one side, the other is that we have to intern for 12 weeks before we finish university, and in those weeks (usually 2-4 weeks at a time, in your holidays) you get the full hands on experience. When I was interning in the hospital in Vienna last summer, I had to draw blood, put in i.v. lines, hang infusions... depending on the hospital or station you are working in, you also have to suture simple wounds and assist in the OR. That's really a good thing and I really love those weeks in the hospital. I also did learn much more then when I sit in a lecture, especially because I'm a person who remembers much more if somebody explains it to me and if I can see what they are talking about.

Those were all the questions in the doc, if you want to know more, just ask me in the comments! :)

DFTBA,
Sarah

11 comments:

  1. Finally I am here to comment! Been wanting to since this was posted but I've been so damn busy with university. I need to stop procrastinating, I don't wanna be this busy again. But I digress.

    ALL THESE QUESTIONS WERE BY ME.

    In Finland math seems to have a rather big emphasis on getting into med school, which is ridiculously hard to get into as it seems. I've always been slightly puzzled about the highlighting of math in these things because I never could come up with all that many direct uses for it outside counting the amount of medication - and they teach that stuff in vocational schools too, to nursing students, so...eh? Might be the close connection to physics and chemistry, which are also important for the entrance exams required for med school. But still...

    So, this kinda had me wondering how much emphasis it has in the actual studies and in practicing medicine. I suppose it varies depending on specialization too, to some extent, but you did give me bit of an idea on it. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it might happen that you really need some math - say, you are in an emergency situation and need to give the right amount of... Epinephrine, but in general I assume you can also do well without much math knowledge.

      We had a lot of physics and chemistry in our first year of studies and I'm also convince that I will NEVER need that in my career as a doctor. Especially that in physics we had exam questions like: "Could light sabers be possible?" and the right answer was "No, because the laser would not just end". Real life physics, eh?

      What I'm saying is that if they teach physics and chemistry, they could as well teach a little bit of math. I would really not mind that, I think it could be useful in some situations.

      Delete
    2. I'd rather my doctor know all the facial nerves than whether light sabers are possible. Although I do appreciate it when people pursue to know as much as possible...on second thought, I would be comforted to know that my doctor knows that light sabers aren't possible.

      Maybe some version of a light saber could be possible though? One that has a dealy at the end where the laser can stop! Not quite the same deal as in Star Wars...but close enough! I'm derailing and explaining things poorly. I'm gonna go sit in the corner now.

      Delete
    3. And now I know light.sabers aren't possible. Damn you, physics!

      Delete
    4. Actually, according to Wookieepedia, lightsabers "consisted of a blade of pure plasma emitted from the hilt and suspended in a force containment field. The field contained the immense heat of the plasma, protecting the wielder, and allowed the blade to keep its shape."
      So there's no actual laser involved, which means that they're perfectly possible! Sort of.
      http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightsaber

      Delete
    5. if there were magical forcefields to contain plasma. And if plasma worked like that.

      Delete
    6. Damn, you should have told me that back then! Although in German light sabers are translated to "Laserschwerter", meaning laser swords, so it would maybe be a bit harder to argue...

      Delete
    7. "Laserschwerter"... why everything in German sounds like a delicious type of sausage to me? XD

      Delete
    8. I must admit, schwert has a wursty quality to it.

      Delete
    9. Well, if you think about it, there is not that much difference between a sausage and a sword!

      Delete