Sunday, March 4, 2012

Rewatching Disney

Bi-weekly themes are a wonderful idea. Despite my best intentions life seems get in the way of posting every week. This means to say: Sorry for my absence. However, it has been great catching up with all the posts I’ve missed.

First of all, I have an admission to make: I am not a big fan of animated movies.
I don’t mind watching one every once in a while, but I do not seek them out, look forward to them or fall in love with them.

Contrary to this I love rewatching old Disney movies and I do so frequently with my friends.
These are my Top 5 observations:

The jungle book is short!

Honestly, it is only 75 minutes long. How did I ever perceive it as a movie that could fill a whole evening? Maybe it has something to do with the fact that my evenings ended around 8 o’clock when this movie was a way of filling evenings…

Vultures = The Beatles

I would have never made this association on my own but a friend of mine pointed out that the Beatles were supposed to voice the vultures, but politely declined the offer. However, the vultures still resemble them. Once you know this tid bit of trivia, it’s easy to guess who is supposed to be who. Have a try:
 
Sidenote: I cannot really blame the Beatles for pulling out of this. The vultures are not really prime roles, are they?

Pets rock!

It doesn’t matter which movie or which character: I love them all.
Aladdin is the best movie to emphasize this point. Imagine this movie without Abu, Jago and the tiger. Poor carpet would have to do an awful lot of comic relief. These characters make these movies! Of course, the “pets” are not the main characters, they only set a plotline in motion here and there and they mostly exist for the sake of comic relief.
Still, they add the color, the layers and the heart. I would not want to watch Aladdin without Abu.

Er hat Sau gesagt! - Man nennt mich Warzenschweeeeeeiiiiiin!

I don’t know the English translation of this fantastic line. Do you remember the scene in Lion King where Simon and Zazu are trapped in the skeleton and Pumba frees them after somebody made him very angry by calling him “pig”? Pumba’s roar to assert that he is indeed not a “pig” but a “wart hog” makes my day every time I think of it.

What does Scar’s parade of hyenas remind me of?

It was seriously creepy watching this scene in 3D. I had obviously not made the connection as a child but now it was all too obvious, painfully so. Urgh! Don’t want to think about it.

Also: Mogli is a brat, Baghira is the hero of the Jungle Book, I have a bunch of problems with Arielle and Aladdin (movie) is so much fun.

Post scriptum: Can somebody explain to me what is so funny about the German version of “Be a man” from Mulan? I saw that the German language recording got a huge amount of notes on tumblr and everybody seemed to find it very funny…

2 comments:

  1. Can you give an example of what people post about "Be a man"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard the German version of "Be a Man," but I have heard a version of "I'll Make a Man out of You" where it is sung in many different languages the switch every line or verse or something.

    ReplyDelete