Saturday, March 24, 2012

Books wot I read innit

Hi everybody,  Hi Dr Nick


I'm still here, and less ill than when I last posted.
So books.

I was never really a big reader so finding something thought provoking and worth writing about is going to be a challenge to me. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy a good book but in recent years, I've come to rely on my instant gratification such as film and tv. Please don't shoot me. This is why all of my favorite books are aimed at "tweenagers" and YA.

The Harry Potter series


My favorite one

It's incredible the amount of people whom I speak to that say "Harry Potter changed my life". I would never go as far to say that, but it has been a book series which I've grown up along side and which I have enjoyed very much. The reason I think Harry Potter has been so successful throughout the world is that at the end of the day, it's a true fight between good and evil. It's about fierce friendship and honest love, ideals which although of utmost importance many books, over or under exaggerate and warp.






Before I die
File:Before i die cover.jpgThis has to be one of my all time favorite books. This is the book, which if someone asked me which   book I would recommend to read, it would be this one. It's one of those really thought provoking books you find very rarely. It's embarrassing to admit, that the only reason I bought this book to begin with is that it was buy one get one free on Waterstones and I bought it alongside twilight. 


Before I die follows Tessa a teenager fighting a losing battle with cancer and the way in which she comes to terms with it. The reason I believe this book had such an impact on me, is that rather than being about some saint like teenager, being an inspiration to those with a terminal illness by doing all sorts of wonderful things, she does what she wants to. Tessa isn't selfish, but rather wants to use the opportunity to try it all (and I mean it all). She's honest and frank about her situation and doesn't gloss over what she's going through. The way in which the book ends was rather unexpected for me. I urge you all to read this book!

Tracy Beaker, and other Jacqueline Wilson books


Jacqueline Wilson was probably the most influential author of my childhood. Her books aimed at young girls are brutally honest, and quite often not with a happy story line. I always used to struggle with books which had beautiful, clever and funny young girls pottering about doing meaningless lovely things like in the majority of books written for the pre-teen age range. Jacqueline Wilson writes for and about real girls. Not for those with perfect lives, but for ordinary lives.

It's quite difficult for me to pick my favorite one of her books, but when it came down to it, I picked Tracy Beaker. This is probably one of her best known books as it has had a 5 series show, 3 series spin-off and a tv-film based upon it, here in the UK. It focuses on a girl Tracy, who lives her life in a care home called "the dumping ground". She suffers from all sorts of anger issues, and wants nothing more for her mum to come and rescue her. She makes up all sorts of fantasys mostly focusing around her mum being a famous Hollywood actress. The story follows her through many adventures during her life in care and her journey out of it.

Not only was Tracy Beaker a very well written and thought provoking book, it was particularly great for young girls like myself whom had no experience of understanding of a life in care. Although many criticize Jacqueline Wilson of over simplifying the situation, I think she did a great job and was very informative without making it to complex for children to understand.

When I'm grown-up and have my own children, I would hope that they too will read Jacqueline Wilson's books.

On a side note,
As I have been absent from the blog for a few weeks, I shall be trawling through everyone's posts to see if I've missed anything important. Apologies if I have!
I'm starting Easter holidays at the end of this week, so I'll be on here a lot :)
DFTBA
Ali :)

2 comments:

  1. Before I die sounds like a really interesting book! I'll add it to my to-read list :)

    ReplyDelete