Sunday, November 18, 2012

Excuse me, I need to go revise.

Sunday. A day with no obligations.

Oh- it's not supposed to be a work of fiction? I'll start over. The current theme asks for a "fairly detailed" account of my day; so this is going to start in minute detail and get progressively more cursory as the day progresses and I tire.

So I get up to go to Church. There is no other reason to get up at such an early hour as 1015 on a Sunday morning, but at least I don't need to get up for the 0845 mass back home. I stumble into the university chaplaincy at 1030 on the dot and manage to find a place to sit on a bench at the back. Why's it so crowded all of a sudden? I suppose I can't complain if going to mass suddenly becomes popular.


So mass proceeds as it always has (and when I say always, I mean for the last ~1600 years) and the priest gives a sermon about how the church never changes. In fact, he recited a parody of a verse from the popular hymn "Onwards Christian Soldiers":
Like a mighty Tortoise,
Moves the Church of God,
Brothers, we are treading,
Where we've always trod,
We are much divided,
Many bodies we,
Strong on holy Doctrine,
Weak on Charity.
I don't understand why a militaristic hymn is still popular in an age where war is as unpopular as it is- I've always felt uncomfortable singing this song. I'll take this version though; it's always nice to hear a priest advocating change. You'd think that with the number of priests I know who want change something would have filtered through to the top. Oh well.

Mass ends, I stay for coffee. Chat to a few people. I stay for lunch. I speak with a seminarian about the sacrament of confession and how to use it. Suffice to say that going to a priest and giving him a list of sins isn't the way to go: "Forgive me Father, for I have sinned" is a lovely phrase for TV characters to use when they resort to religion and end up gratuitously finding it as hard and unyielding as the audience always suspected (I'm looking at you, House season 5 {I'm not up to date with TV}), but it has no place in the real world. Lunch is nice, I excuse myself since I need to go and revise for a mid-sessional exam tomorrow (and still do- but writing a blog post feels vaguely like work, so I don't feel guilty).

Walking home I make plans for revision. The Costa underneath the Waterstones is cosy- and likely to be open longer than other coffee shops, so I settle on that. Get home, grab work (check Facebook, Twitter, Our Pants etc.) go to back to Waterstones and settle down with a coffee to work on some Electronic Circuits.

An hour later I have a slightly better understanding of diodes, and the girl at the table next to me who is talking about the short film she's planning (about a girl called Ruth, and there's a boyfriend who leaves her for someone else, and there are dream sequences and...) is getting on my nerves so I decide that I need to find a more productive spot. I remember reading that all UCL libraries are open 24-7, so I cross the road and go to the Engineering floor of the Science library and settle in to learn about metal on semiconductor field effect transistors (actually really fascinating). I decide I've had enough of that module for one day, and that I need to do some electromagnetism.

It is now time for dinner, however, so instead of studying I go and eat. Then it is almost 1900, and what happened on Sunday 18th of November at 1900 GMT? The American Grand Prix of course! So off to a friend's room to watch that. Hilarities ensue- the Californian girl who actually knows about Formula 1 (I'm the next best knowledgeable, but she actually knows people in the sport, and has career ambitions... basically I know nothing) starts routing for Hamilton (whom she despises) because he could make things easier for her man Alonso (when I said hilarities... you had to be there... you still wouldn't have found it funny, but we did ok?) Spoiler alert (anyone who cares already knows) Hamilton won, the season remains undecided, but Vettel looks ready to win.

And again I excuse myself because I need to go revise: so here I am. Writing a blog post.

So if you'll excuse me, I need to go revise...


1 comment:

  1. Your church sounds way better than any I've ever been to.

    ReplyDelete