Thursday, November 15, 2012

Exam day

8:30 am. My phone alarm goes off. Technically, today started when I went to bed last night after midnight, so half eight is not ideal. So I ignore the alarm. Twice.

At half nine I finally drag myself out of bed. I have an exam this afternoon. I'm normally not a fan of afternoon exams. I end up spending the morning worrying, and I'd much rather get it over with quickly. This was kind of an exception. I really needed the sleep-in.

Shower. Yoghurt and muesli. Tea. Traditional Afternoon. White, one sugar. Hot. Laptop. Lectures. Last minute revision. Get distracted, watch Youtube.

This stream of consciousness thing is fun.

For lunch I think I'll have... guacamole. On toast. Yeeaaahh. That's the stuff.

Okay. My exam is at two, which means I should probably leave at 1-ish. I'm really, really underprepared, but at this point there's not a lot I can do. I can't stand those people who sit outside exam rooms panicking and and reading notes and textbooks and stuff. I tried that for my high school exams. All it did was make me stressed, and actually forget stuff. If you don't know it by five minutes beforehand, there's not a lot you can do.

(I got new sneakers, by the way. They look like this. They're awesome.)

Well, that went... okay. Two source analyses from... Odyssey book 4 and Aeneid book 12. Essay question on Greek guest laws in the Odyssey. And an essay question on Aeneas' piety. Here's a tip for you though: if you get a question in the exam which is the same as the question you just spent six weeks and 3000 words answering, it's probably not a good idea to try and refute the same argument in three pages and thirty minutes. I pity whoever gets to read that mess.

Seriously, that's all I've done today. I wrote some good essays, and some bad essays, and then I went home. This really is the worst possible time for this topic to come up. My life is all studystudyprocrastinatestudystudyEXAMstudystudyprocrastinatestudyEXAM.

Speaking of procrastinate, Star Trek is on. (Seriously, best thing about digital TV: one of the stations fills all their new programming space on Thursday nights with three straight hours of Next Generation reruns. And Saturday is Voyager reruns. It's brilliant.)

8 comments:

  1. Guac on toast? A strange yet intriguing creation...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not quite proper guacamole. It's sliced and layered instead of mashed. It's the same basic taste though, it's awesome.

      Delete
    2. Perhaps I shall try it. California is certainly a good place to do so.

      Delete
  2. I hate those panicky people before exams too. If you don't know it until now, you also won't learn it five minutes before the exam. Duh.
    I also hate the "what do you have for question 3?" people after exams. It's over, you can't change it anymore, get over it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh yes! I am very much of the "out of sight, out of mind" mindset when it comes to tests.

      Delete
    2. Yup. This is why I cycle to exams. (I mean, I cycle to uni too, but I make a point of cycling to exams.) It stops me dragging my textbook all the way there, and gives me a solid 20 mintues of physical activity and not studying to just zone out beforehand so I'm not all jittery.

      Delete
    3. It happened to me so often that everybody around is like: "Yeah it was SO good, I'm 100% sure it's answer B for that question!"
      And I'm like: "Uhm, I took C, but whatever."
      And everybody is like: "No, no, it's B!"

      ... and then it's C. Duh.

      Delete