Thursday, August 2, 2012

ConBravo 2012

So I went to ConBravo this year!

ConBravo is a small convention held at the Holiday Inn in Burlington, I went for the first time last year, and had a pretty awesome time. So this year when I heard it was happening again and more people from Channel Awesome were going to be there I just had to go back.

What is Channel Awesome you say? Well check out That Guy With the Glasses and immerse yourself in the nerdy awesome that is Internet Reviewing. Then get back to me!

This year, The Nostalgia Critic, The Nostalgia Chick, Linkara, Spoony, Paw, Maven of the Eventide, The Angry Video Game Nerd and Doctor Holocaust were on the list of special guests. Having many of times told my old roommate that I needed to hug all of them, this seemed like the opportune time to get that started, in the least creepy way possible.
My kinda creepy photos taken over people's heads.

So the adventure started at 6:30am on Saturday morning, where I made my way to Chelsey's House carrying my life in a suitcase. We hopped in the rented car, stopped off at Tim Hortons and got coffee, tea, ice caps, everything we would need to make it through the first half of our day. We drove to the Con, signed in and got into our very first line. The Linkara and Spoony signing.

After that we went to a very useful panel on "Creating an Online Persona" followed by The Channel Awesome Q&A.

Also, I found Batman, errr well maybe it's Abed dressed up as Batman. When you think of it, it is kind of ridiculous because now you can dress up as someone who is dressing up as someone else. Stop and think about that for a bit.

BATMAN
The last panel we made it into was hosted by The Nostalgia Chick on "Being a Girl on the Internet" This panel was both interesting and important because it focused on how to deal with idiots online. Most of my income comes from video production and blog posts, and given the recent events, which we all discussed on in our facebook group this seemed like an interesting topic to hear from first hand from those who have had bad experiences. The Nostalgia Chick (aka Lindsey) managed to be really funny, but really informative on the subject. Out of all of the panels I went to, this one was the most open and felt more like a dialogue between the Panel Runners and the Audience. I really wish I had managed to record it, but the sound wasn't that great.

After that, we went to the Dance for a bit, got kind of bored and headed off to the Bad Fanfiction Readings. I'm hoping to channel some of that into the wonderful story that we are all writing. The most memorable story we listened to was about a Gothic Vampire Girl who went to Hogwarts, and goes on a date with Draco Malfoy to see a Good Charlotte Concert. Draco then drives them in his flying car to the Forbidden Forest where they have sex only to be caught by Dumbledore.

Instant classic.

Sunday was a little less rushed. We got in line for the Channel Awesome Signing and after waiting for 2 hours we didn't get in. Luckily, the one Reviewer that we really wanted to meet, tweeted that he felt really bad that not everyone could make it into the signing and that if you came up to him he would sign "ALL THE THINGS". We managed to catch him when we were leaving and got his signature in our books.

Also, Linkara was walking around talking to fans and taking pictures. So this happened:


It's not really the best picture of me. But it's very clear that I'm very happy.

You also can't really talk about Conventions without talking about the shopping aspect. I bought myself a PS2! Which I am SUPER EXCITED ABOUT! But the best part of my hall was a replica of the Elder Wand. I really need to start working on a wands display. I have two of them now. The Elder Wand and Voldemort's Bone Wand.

All in all, I had a really awesome time. It's great when you can meet the people who inspire you and it's great to meet new people who can inspire you further:


I mean seriously guys, check this guy out on youtube. I kind of fell in love with him (as creepy as that sounds).

DFTBA!



3 comments:

  1. Man I wish I had been there. TGWTG crew is awesome! Would have loved to see those guys live. Especially NCritic and NChick! And Linkara, though I've been watching his stuff less this year. I used to like Spoony too, but gotta say his behavior with the recent rape joke bull crap has turned me off.

    Wish I could have seen Lindsey Ellis' panel on being a girl online. That topic's been on the table a lot for me recently. (Even my friend has been the target of idiots because they couldn't focus on anything else besides her breasts...) Plus I love her style of wit and humor, and how she still manages to be very informative and analytical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blogs are absolutely value bountiful time and also endeavor.essay

    ReplyDelete