Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Thoughts from Places: HELP University

4am, last day of May. What better time to find inspiration to write a thought provoking piece stemming from your university campus, right?

Here's the thing about my university campus. Calling it a campus on it's own is almost ridiculous. There is no campus. It's merely a hodge podge of random buildings in which students exist within. It's a day university, so everyone comes for classes and leaves. The "campus" is split into three parts, all separate from each other and all located in the midst of a offshoot of the city centre. Everywhere you go, you see offices and office people interspersed with students. It can be quite amusing.

The pre-university building is located underground, below a whole stretch of office buildings, and affectionately known as the "dungeon" because that's really what it's like. Sunlight was a scarcity. Every single student from my university will have complained about the campus. But then again, other private universities across the city tend to share our sentiments about their own, although some really are better off than us.

As I walk to crammed hallways and the busy streets from lecture hall to lecture hall and building to building, I complain too. But in the end there's one thing that hits me. The place doesn't matter. It's the people. Because the fact is, many years from now I will not be able to remember how messed up the place was but I will remember the antics that occurred within the walls. What I'll remember is the times I spent rolling on the floor just because I could, and the conversations that were never ending but never went anywhere either.I will remember attempting (and partially succeeding) to stuff myself into a locker because the holidays were approaching and my friends asked me nicely.  I will remember the heartbreak, the joy and the laughter.

Concrete and steel will eventually lose to mother nature and the sluttiness of time. Memories won't.

The campus is what you want it to be. A receptacle of memories, or simply a place.

3 comments:

  1. "Concrete and steel will eventually lose to mother nature and the sluttiness of time. Memories won't."

    That is by far one of the BEST LINES EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sluttiness of time.

    millie i love you

    ReplyDelete