Thursday, May 3, 2012

Beach tales

                          

For freestyle week, I'll tell you about the trip I recently took with my coursemates to Pangkor Island in the state of Perak. It's about 3-4 hours drive and a 30 minute ferry ride away from the capital, KL. It's not one of the prettiest islands we have, but it's pretty popular cause it's one of the closest and easiest to access. That and it's famous for anchovy and cuttlefish by-products. We went in a ridiculously large group (19 people) so it was kind of like a class trip. Given that we took up half the bus, we made a crazy amount of noise to the disdain of the other passengers who just really wanted to sleep. Whoops. 
Anyway, we took a boat ride around the island and the adjacent privately owned island before heading to a snorkelling area. It was my first time snorkelling so I had to get used to the mask and breathing through my mouth. It doesn't help that I can't swim (I know, hopeless). It was quite hilarious cause everyone was looking for the fishes all over but when we returned to the boat, we found a whole school hiding under it. The rest of the day was spent frolicking on two different beaches, suntanning and playing volleyball. We also went on a banana boat ride (I'm assuming this is a common water sport, but I may be wrong) which was pretty frickin' awesome. 
But with all trips, it was the people and the stupid things you do together that make the experiences. The two nights were pretty much spent playing twister, taboo and drinking (in a moderate, healthy fashion of course). We even decided to play "3D twister" where you used your clothes or surroundings instead of the mats so we had our limbs on each other or the furniture. 

Because we had so much junk food by the last night, we decided to play an eating game to try and get rid of as much as possible. It turned out to be simultaneously disgusting and hilarious. People were eating marshmallows off each other's faces, trading half eaten chocolate, chocolate soaked in wine and rum and even marshmallows dipped in tomyam-flavoured instant noodles. 

This is a tldr version, the full one can be found... here on my blog. Till next time!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds really awesome! It looks very pretty there, so I'd like to see your prettier islands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully I'll go for more holidays, so till then! Or even better, come yourself!

      Delete